Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decent lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter? (Read 3273 times) previous topic - next topic

Decent lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter?

Had to upgrade my iPhone 6 and of course lost the audio jack, which has worked fine for me with my Shure SE535's and ALAC (converted from FLAC) for many years.

However, I am finding the Apple Lightning to 3.5 analog adapter to be lacking. Lots of distortion during quiet music passages and very disappointing. 

I am aware that Shure makes a Lightning adapter but reviews say it is fragile and breaks easily.

I love the SE535s as are compact and block out a lot of ambient noise with their canal phone design.

Can someone please recommend a suitable and quiet Lightning to DAC adapter that is fairly small?

Re: Decent lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter?

Reply #2
If you're getting distortion, you can probably just ask apple for a replacement.

Reply #3
Are you getting distortion, or noise (hiss)? I had the original Shure SE530 and they were very sensitive, had to use an attenuator with my iPod in order to avoid the hiss.

Reply #4
The noise during quiet passages of music (such as the beginning of “Year of the Cat” isn’t hiss and not really distortion but more like noise one might hear with low bitrate MP3’s. My music is all ALAC converted from FLAC. Using the Apple lightening ear buds (which are lacking in highs) there is no such noise. I am not actually using an Apple lightning to analog adapter but an “Apple Approved” one. So I plan on picking one up and hope for improved quality.

Reply #5
The standard apple adapters are usually excellent.

Reply #6
The standard apple adapters are usually excellent.

Thanks. The new iPhones don’t come with them so I will have to go buy one.

Reply #7
I don't know about international pricing, but on Apple's web site, they're $9 for US customers. Mind the bad rating, it does speak of how fragile the adapter is, and how it doesn't work with third party remote devices. (Of course, it is highly possible that the third party remote adapter people are trying to make it work with is designed for Android devices, not Apple devices.)

Reply #8
I'd like to know why such a versatile and usable port had to die.

Apple spoke of it being a useless mass that hadn't innovated in decades.

I'd say they're deflecting. Hopefully, sane phones continue to have the audio jack  for a while. Not all of us are ready to surrender to Screaming Music Disservices and a second generation of loss in Bluetooth Audio.