Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "eMOTIVe" from "A Perfect Circle" (Read 4246 times) previous topic - next topic

"eMOTIVe" from "A Perfect Circle"

I've just bought this CD, put it into my DVD player and noticed that at least the first two tracks are full of glitches. So i decided to run a C1/C2 test in my Plextor Premium on it and this is the result:

Reply #1
I had no problem ripping it with the newest Plextools (v2.18 I believe). No errors at all.

Reply #2
ripping is not the problem, this is what i ended up doing too, and the copy is flawless. but by DVD-player choked on the original, pressed CD. it usually doesn't have problems with copy protected CDs, for example "13th step" from "a perfect circle" is also copy protected, and plays without glitches. but "eMOTIVe" sounded as if it were heavily sctrached.

if you have the time and motivation, you could make a C1/C2 test on the CD, and if there are C2 errors en masse in the first part of the CD, the first 3 songs or so, then it would support my suspiction that these glitches are there on purpose and a result of the copy protetion and my copy was not just a bad pressing.

Reply #3
On my thirteenth step CD, it was a real pain in the ass to try to rip the first track without using burst mode, because it would always reread as if it was scratched to hell, although the cd itself was flawless.  Sometimes my cd players cant even read the first track period.  But I eventually figured how to rip it to where i couldnt hear any glitches on playback.

Reply #4
Why don't you just take the CD back and demand another?

If the replacement is the same, contact the record company and complain.

Playing a CD in a DVD player is a reasonable thing to do - if it doesn't play, the disc or player is faulty.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
If the replacement is the same, contact the record company and complain.

usually there will be no unprotected copy of these CDs in the country they're sold in.  you have to get them from overseas.

if the band is a local act, tough titties - your only hope is to contact the band and ask them to burn you their copy (which means breaching their contracts of course).

i've tried contacting EMI before.  they say burn a copy if it doesn't play, or buy an unprotected one from overseas.  of course, in my country it's illegal to even rip a CD you own, much less circumvent an ineffective technological measure.

if we want to hear our music we have to break the law.  sounds like the story behind "we will rock you" to me...

Reply #6
I would be very interested to see a response from a record company telling you to buy a CD from another country.

In the UK, several internet retailers that were selling foreign releases to the UK (because they were much cheaper than domestic releases of the same material) were taken to court for copyright infringement(!!!) - the record companies claimed the right to be able to charge what they liked in different markets, and prevent sales across borders (not sure about the details). Anyway, the record companies won. End of cheap CDs via this route. Quite sad really. Quite stupid too if you ask me, but no one did! 

So if a record company is now advising you to buy a CD from elsewhere, that's very strange.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
well, maybe the guy i spoke to didn't realise what he was saying (this is quite possible IMHO).  i said that i'd heard you could get unprotected discs online, and he said that was definitely an alternative if i couldn't play the protected disc... but he also suggested i break copyright law by making a playable copy, so who knows what to believe.

btw, that sucks about what happened in the UK.  in australia there's a fair amount of precedent for getting stuff cheaper overseas though, and in fact the ACCC (australian competition and consumer commission i think it stands for) deemed region-protection anti-competitive, and even made it legal to mod-chip your playstation.  DVD players here mostly come sold without region protection, mainly because so many of us make trips to south-east asia (poor guys) for cheap DVDs.  i think any attempt to make buying overseas illegal here would not be looked at seriously (i hope).