Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Feature request] Change ReplayGain mode by Shuffle/Default order (Read 3396 times) previous topic - next topic

[Feature request] Change ReplayGain mode by Shuffle/Default order

Hi everyone!

I've got an idea that could be useful, so please tell me if it's a good or a bad one :

Is it possible to create an option to associate Random/Shuffle play mode to ReplayGain "track" source mode, and Default play mode to "album" source mode ?

No need to give you extra details, I'm pretty sure ReplayGain users have already been missing such a feature.

Thank you 

Reply #1
Not really

Reply #2
what can I say... THANKS A LOT !

Reply #3
Now ( foobar2000 1.3.8 ) possible without additional components.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Hi Peter,
Could you tell more about how it works? We have 3x Shuffle modes and one Radom. Apart from Default mode we also have Repeat Playlist (and even Repeat Track, but it's irrelevant here). For example I expect that in Suffle (albums) RG mode will be "album" and in Shuffle (tracks) RG will be "track"... So How it works now for each Playback Mode available?

Reply #5
Based entirely on my experience thus far, it seems that Default, Shuffle (albums), and Shuffle (folders) follow Album ReplayGain mode while Shuffle (tracks) and Random follow Track ReplayGain mode. The change is also only applied when a track is started.

Reply #6
Is this optional? Track gain makes a lot of quiet classical pieces way too loud for me.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #7
Yes, it is a new choice for the ReplayGain source mode in addition to the existing "none", "track" and "album" modes.

Reply #8
Thanks foosion. Good to know.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #9
So the feature exists, but when will it be assignable to a button? (as are the other RG modes)

Reply #10
So the feature exists, but when will it be assignable to a button? (as are the other RG modes)

Indeed [main] - Playback - ReplayGain - Disable/track/album is missing the new "by playback order" option.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #11
OK, just to confirm and leave clear info for everybody, who miss it from official change log or authors:
I realized that I can craft certain file to clearly test how it works - by manual setting RG Track and RG Album tags to very different values, for example -16 for Track and -2 for Album - or other way around. So it works very logically. When you set RG mode to "by playback order" and you start fiddling with play modes you will get:
- Default = abum
- Repeat playlist = album
- Repeat track = track
- Random = track
- Shuffle (tracks) = track
- Shuffle (albums) = album
- Shuffle )folders) = album.

To hear change in RG mode after changing play mode you need to change track or restart currently playing - it is NOT applied just after cycling of buffer, no matter how short it is.

Reply #12
I have found this feature not as useful as I had hoped, I really need "default play" to use Track mode, not Album.  When "default play" uses album mode, my collection is all over the map, volume wise.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with my favorite styles of music.

Reply #13
I have found this feature not as useful as I had hoped, I really need "default play" to use Track mode, not Album.  When "default play" uses album mode, my collection is all over the map, volume wise.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with my favorite styles of music.

Well I agree with you.. I would also prefer "track RG" in "Default" play mode and even in "Repeat (playlist)". Thats why foo_rg_trn seemed to be useful, apart from the fact it in fact in stopped working very quickly after some foobar updates. In foo_rg_trn you could choose manually RG mode for each playback mode.

Reply #14
I believe that the reason Default playback uses Album gain is because the standard, out-of-the-box usage of foobar2000 is to group tracks into albums, which should theoretically be scanned/tagged as such. An argument could be made either way, but I think that the way it was set up assumes a user with a diverse playlist/library would be using the Shuffle or Random playback options if they intended track-based listening (as opposed to album-based listening).

Also keep in mind that the ReplayGain implementation in foobar2000 falls back to Track mode if a given file is not tagged with Album gain.