Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Feature Request] Autosave Settings (Read 755 times) previous topic - next topic

[Feature Request] Autosave Settings

Hello, and thank you for foobar2000!

I listen to a lot of radio shows and podcasts as I travel often, and I create playlists of my favorite songs—I have playlists by various dimensions, like songs I want to share, songs that would be good for driving, songs that would be good for parties, etc. Despite such efforts, unfortunately, foobar2000 currently only saves playlists on clean exit, so if, say, my laptop accidentally wakes from sleep while in my bag and the battery dies (as has happened a few times), or if my laptop crashes in general (rare, but it happened just now after I upgraded from an HDD to an SSD and forgot to set a larger page file size and ran out of memory), I lose hours and hours of picking and sorting songs  and it's really frustrating to have to go back through several episodes of these shows and podcasts to figure out what my picks were.

To try to circumvent this issue, a month or two ago I set up a keyboard shortcut, mapping Ctrl+S to the Save All Settings function. However it's just not intuitive for me to remember to hit Ctrl+S every time I add a song or create a new playlist. In my experience, most if not all software these days have a state model such that settings are saved as the user sets them. I know the "Save" and "Apply" buttons still exist (though they're phasing out of many UIs) but those always appear on dialog boxes, so the user is forced to choose between those options (or "Cancel"), so the user still doesn't have to remember to do anything.

I know you guys are working hard and by no means do I mean this offensively—I'm a software dev myself and don't appreciate demands from entitled users!—but I do think this issue is sort of a design / UI flaw—I called it a feature request though because I don't want to be rude. At first I thought foobar2000 was a community-coded project and looked around for how I could contribute to the core but it appears the core's maintained exclusively by you guys, so here I am with my request

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider my thoughts! All the best and keep up the good work!

Reply #1
foo_jesus

C.

EDIT:
After installing:
File > Preferences > Advanced > Autosave & Autobackup > Files and directories to backup
You may want to add playlists* (since 1.3 the playlist location is now "playlists-v1.3") so the wildcard (*) will take care of that.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #2
Ah! Thanks! Sorry, I thought plugins were for things like skins and panels and "extras" but it makes sense that things like this can be made plugins too, it just didn't occur to me.

Reply #3
@acheong87 -- see my edit above (I was a little slow).

EDIT: There are components for all sorts of stuff, many very useful:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #4
Oh, wow, would not have caught that. Thanks. "playlist*" added.