Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_loudness_peakmeter (Read 20090 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_loudness_peakmeter

Reply #50
Never heard of T axis (Time axis?). Should be X axis. In physics, time is always on the X axis.
Yes, I would have used "time axis" instead of "X axis" if I had had a good idea for labelling the Y axis.  However, I think X-axis and Y-axis are more common.

Reply #51
Never heard of T axis (Time axis?). Should be X axis. In physics, time is always on the X axis.
So?  This isn't physics, this is audio where the time axis is usually spread horizontally.  Whether horizontal or vertical, it's still the time axis.  Just because physicists happen to lazily refer to the horizontal axis as "x"...

As for the vertical axis: amplitude, power, dB, whatever.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #52
Thanks for your work on this. Would it be possible to have just the left hand Peak meter visible though? I would like to use this in conjunction with your other spectrum analyser plugin.
foobar2000  x64

Reply #53
Thanks for your work on this. Would it be possible to have just the left hand Peak meter visible though? I would like to use this in conjunction with your other spectrum analyser plugin.
Do you mean something like this:
X
This is already possible now by decreasing the loudness peakmeter. But I see your point. I will put it on the list.

Reply #54
Yeah that's it, how'd you do that? Did I miss another update? lol

EDIT: Oh, I see what you did! Would be better to have a standalone version too maybe? ;)
foobar2000  x64

Reply #55
Yeah that's it, how'd you do that? Did I miss another update? lol

EDIT: Oh, I see what you did! Would be better to have a standalone version too maybe? ;)
I will not build an additional component. I will check whether it is possible and makes sense to display the peak meter alone. The problem is the dimensioning. The left peak meter alone must fill the entire component space. That might look a little strange. But I'll give it a try.

Reply #56
Would it not be easier to create a second component by duplicating the original and removing all non-essential code for the Peak meter?

Out of curiosity, how do you create plugins? What language is it and what else is required?
foobar2000  x64

Reply #57
Would it not be easier to create a second component by duplicating the original and removing all non-essential code for the Peak meter?

Out of curiosity, how do you create plugins? What language is it and what else is required?
A second component must also be managed. So this could lead to duplication of work if the code is not shared. I think it is better to keep the algorithms in one component. That is easier to maintain.

I use C++. You can use Visual C++ as an IDE. It is free of charge. Then you need the foobar2000 SDK. A little programming experience is required. Also basics of audio signal processing and the corresponding algorithms.  But this is part of the developer forum. You can get more info here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/board,34.0.html.

Reply #58
Ah ok. I thought it may be easier to have two separate components, but I see the issue.

Thanks for the info, not sure I'm up to it, but I'll certainly take a look! :)
foobar2000  x64

Reply #59
Bug:
All foobar2000 visualizations slow to a crawl when foo_loudness_peakmeter is active while playing tracks with more than two channels. It only seems to happen when the final result after DSPs has more than two channels - if a file is, say, 5.1, and it is downmixed to stereo before output, the bug will not occur.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #60
Bug:
All foobar2000 visualizations slow to a crawl when foo_loudness_peakmeter is active while playing tracks with more than two channels. It only seems to happen when the final result after DSPs has more than two channels - if a file is, say, 5.1, and it is downmixed to stereo before output, the bug will not occur.
I cannot reproduce the behaviour. Which foo_loudness_peakmeter version and foobar2000 version (32 or 64 bit) are you using? Does this happen also in single spectrum mode?

Reply #61
Bug:
I cannot reproduce the behaviour. Which foo_loudness_peakmeter version and foobar2000 version (32 or 64 bit) are you using? Does this happen also in single spectrum mode?
Did a bit more testing. Looks like it's not all visualizations, but the Spectrum Analyzer, waveform minibar, and loudness peakmeter all stutter and update exceedingly slowly the moment I play >2 channel audio, including if I play a stereo file and add "Upmix to 5.1" to my DSP chain. Everything goes back to normal when I close the loudness peakmeter.

The full spectrum visualizer doesn't exhibit any slowness in this situation, oddly enough. Even when update is set to 5ms.

Reply #62
Did a bit more testing. Looks like it's not all visualizations, but the Spectrum Analyzer, waveform minibar, and loudness peakmeter all stutter and update exceedingly slowly the moment I play >2 channel audio, including if I play a stereo file and add "Upmix to 5.1" to my DSP chain. Everything goes back to normal when I close the loudness peakmeter.

The full spectrum visualizer doesn't exhibit any slowness in this situation, oddly enough. Even when update is set to 5ms.
X
I can't reproduce it. You'll find attached my test scenario. Are you using the newest version of foo_loudness_peakmeter 0.3.0.0 or an earlier version? Are you running the component in 64 or 32 bit environment? Can you post a screenshot of your test scenario?

Reply #63
Sorry for my slow replies. I will provide a more thorough response when I am able. I was out for most of yesterday for health reasons.

For now, I can tell you it's not a matter of how many visualizations are open. I only needed waveform minibar (mod), the built-in spectrum analyzer in the toolbar, and the loudness peakmeter to cause a massive slowdown. I will test more and reply when I am able to sit up.

Reply #64
Sorry for my slow replies. I will provide a more thorough response when I am able. I was out for most of yesterday for health reasons.

For now, I can tell you it's not a matter of how many visualizations are open. I only needed waveform minibar (mod), the built-in spectrum analyzer in the toolbar, and the loudness peakmeter to cause a massive slowdown. I will test more and reply when I am able to sit up.
OK, I think I have found the reason. It is not a bug, but a performance problem in the loudness library. I don't know if I can fix it because it happens during the squaring to calculate the gating blocks. But I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

Reply #65
Okay, I have some more information. It only triggers for me when I am using several DSPs in a chain. There are no problems unless both Loudness Peakmeter is open and a multichannel (more than stereo) track is playing (or upmix to 5.1+ is added to the chain). I'm including a screenshot of a real-world chain that triggers the poor performance in conjunction with the other steps. Interestingly, once the slow performance starts, even removing the DSPs won't make it fast again - only closing Loudness Peakmeter will make things fast again.

Additionally, any visualization using Hardware Acceleration is unaffected, but with Hardware Acceleration off even the regular spectrum is choppy.

My system has an i9-9900K, 32gb RAM, and an RTX 3090, which should explain why Hardware Accelerated visualizations are unaffected. I am using foobar2000 v2.0 x86.

Thank you! I can provide more specific information if asked.

Reply #66
Okay, I have some more information. It only triggers for me when I am using several DSPs in a chain. There are no problems unless both Loudness Peakmeter is open and a multichannel (more than stereo) track is playing (or upmix to 5.1+ is added to the chain). I'm including a screenshot of a real-world chain that triggers the poor performance in conjunction with the other steps. Interestingly, once the slow performance starts, even removing the DSPs won't make it fast again - only closing Loudness Peakmeter will make things fast again.

Additionally, any visualization using Hardware Acceleration is unaffected, but with Hardware Acceleration off even the regular spectrum is choppy.

My system has an i9-9900K, 32gb RAM, and an RTX 3090, which should explain why Hardware Accelerated visualizations are unaffected. I am using foobar2000 v2.0 x86.

Thank you! I can provide more specific information if asked.
Now I had a little bit of time to look into it more intense. The reason was the squaring to calculate the gating blocks. But this happens only very intense when short time loudness was calculated for more then 4 channels. So I could find a solution for this. And I found also the bug that is the reason for the component don't getting faster again after playing a stream with less than 4 channels. I will provide a new version soon. Thanks for pointing this out.

Reply #67
I released  version 1.0,0.0
=========================
- FIX: Reset of Internal channel count detection sometimes fails
- FIX: changed the labelling of the X and Y axis in the config dialog
- IMPROVEMENT: Better performance when processing 5.1 and 7.1 audio streams
- IMPROVEMENT: Export and Import settings by file  
- IMPROVEMENT: Default settings have been changed for a better integration. 
- IMPROVEMENT: better scaling of loudnessmeter for small sizes
- IMPROVEMENT: Mono/stereo only selection for the loudness measurement

You can get it here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123953.msg1027603.html#msg1027603

Reply #68
Thank you! Your component has been invaluable for adjusting preamp and other gain settings.

Reply #69
Thanks! A plea: As your components reaching mature status, please consider adding them to www.foobar2000.org/components. Just e-mail Peter (https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Development:Overview).

Reply #70
Thanks Crossover for the new version!  Just have one non-100% positive observation, which is that the tendecy of the LRA label on the meter to get "mashed" into the Peak value display on some material has seemed to have reappeared (see images)--I mentioned this on an earlier version and you then fixed it, so perhaps it's a regression?

Reply #71
Thanks! A plea: As your components reaching mature status, please consider adding them to www.foobar2000.org/components. Just e-mail Peter (https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Development:Overview).
Thanks for the hint!

Reply #72
Thanks Crossover for the new version!  Just have one non-100% positive observation, which is that the tendecy of the LRA label on the meter to get "mashed" into the Peak value display on some material has seemed to have reappeared (see images)--I mentioned this on an earlier version and you then fixed it, so perhaps it's a regression?
Ok, I see your point. Fortunatlely It's not a regression to the old problem. Peak and volume are extremely and unnaturally high and so the normal behaviour of the component leads to the result you documented in the pictures. I played a little with some Dsp's and could reproduce this behaviour.
X
I think and hope that the display of a combination of such extreme values is normally not necessary.

Reply #73
Roger that, and that's cool on all staying as-is.  I am one of the old school types that uses both the Foobar volume control and speakers separate volume control to balance the room, as opposed to the bit-perfect folks who max out the former and rely on system volume. I also use a modest(?) amount of compression/limiting, so that obviously jazzes up a peak display  :-[

Anyway my own DSP chain is below just so you know it's not something crazy like the "to reproduce" example  :))

Reply #74
Could you add option/feature/new plugin to analyze selected tracks or whole media library offline (not only while track is playing) to see final integrated values like loudness/peaks/LRA/dynamic range and even whole graph for each selected track?
Ideally it could be a database with information about each analyzed track (like seekbar plugin) with ability to view it as a list and sort it by different columns or even query it.