Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy format do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC or HE-AAC v1/v2 (.m4a, .aac…)
[ 87 ] (26.3%)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
[ 11 ] (3.3%)
MP3 (.mp3)
[ 84 ] (25.4%)
Musepack (.mpc)
[ 17 ] (5.1%)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
[ 24 ] (7.3%)
Opus (.opus)
[ 75 ] (22.7%)
WavPack Lossy/Hybrid (.wv)
[ 4 ] (1.2%)
xHE-AAC (USAC)
[ 10 ] (3%)
I don't encode or listen to lossy audio on a regular basis
[ 19 ] (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Voting closed: 2024-01-01 14:33:07

Topic: 2023 Lossy format poll (Read 25686 times) previous topic - next topic

2023 Lossy format poll

OK, boys and gals (sigh!) boys,

Here's the poll I'd have risked saying half a year ago, nobody asked for. Boy, was I wrong!

Once more, good olde democracy has prevailed and, as the results of our metapoll, so to speak, inquiring whether we should get down to it again showed 92% of the ones who have bothered voting* wanted it back, here we are, after a 'gap' year, back to our much hated/beloved annual lossy format poll.

* So far, a whopping 18 members! It closes down in 4 days or so.

Kind request:
Please refrain from expressing your concerns over how lame it is that you can only pick one.
For the umpteenth time: it's a forum thing and there's not much we can do about it lest we resource to using other platforms.

PS: If whining about choices is your thing, you may find this quite useful/helpful.  ;)

MOD Edit APR 13, 2023: I've changed the maximum number of selections to 5.
For those who already voted: I added the option to Remove your previous vote.
You can then re-vote your original choice plus any additional choices.
The option to change your vote will be removed at the end of the month.
>
    expired
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Re: 2023 Lossy format poll

Reply #1
Please redo with checkboxes. This one is useless.

Yes, you could use other platforms if this forum software is so darn limited.

I use at the very least six audio codecs all the time (Opus, AAC, FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, SBC HQ). I cannot choose just one.

Reply #2
Please redo with checkboxes. This one is useless.
Am I talking to myself here? What did I just say?

Yes, you could use other platforms if this forum software is so darn limited.
You could use other fora if this one is so darn limited.

I use at the very least six audio codecs all the time (Opus, AAC, FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, SBC HQ). I cannot choose just one.
Good for you! You may refer to the Post Script above, assuming your case is not beyond help.
União e reconstrução

Reply #4
Does Opus have more ~256Kbps killer samples than Apple AAC?
I've seen quite a few threads on here about Opus killer samples, but very few threads about Apple AAC killer samples

Reply #5
All except lossywav, musepack, vorbis. Did experiment with USAC but cant really say i have an application for that.

I like how OP reacts to constructive criticism.

Reply #6
I use USAC to keep vocal recordings, that's his field, for music I keep it in AIFF or WAV and I create a compressed version in AAC for use on the go. I appreciate Wavpack but I rarely use it.

Reply #7
So create your own poll and see how you get on.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #8
I like how you try to defend the indefensible.

After all, criticism, specially of the constructive kind, entails suggestions - preferably attainable ones, not demands - which had been clearly deemed minutes earlier as unattainable.

That's just plain winding people up!
União e reconstrução

Reply #9
Does Opus have more ~256Kbps killer samples than Apple AAC?
In my experience - no, Opus is more robust than AAC in this regard. I think the reason why Opus has more killer sample threads is that it's more interesting to break Opus - exactly because it's more robust in general.
Opus VBR 256 + SoX

Reply #10
As my NAS's hard disk capacity grows, I rarely feel the need to encode "into lossy" these days. For other people who want a copy of my recommendations, I usually use MP3 (because I have yet to meet anyone who can't play it on a device of their choice) - for the very few occasions when I want to have a lossy album myself (e.g. transferring a copy on USB thumbdrives), I use Opus. (Vorbis was nice while it lasted though.)

(I wonder whether a new Lossless poll would make sense. Or is everyone still on FLAC?)
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

Reply #12
So does MP3, we still have this poll. :D
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

Reply #13
Or is everyone still on FLAC?)
There is something after the ampersand in your signature  ;)

At the risk of derailing the thread: FLAC does its job (which is something else than serving as compression plug-in for software that requires also non-audio parts to be restored), and MP3 does its job (which is not to be transferred over Bluetooth).

Anyway, as always I wonder what I should answer. Obviously my biggest uses of lossy audio are, in no particular order:
* whatever is transmitted over BT (see?)
* whatever services/sites like Spotify, YouTube, Soundcloud and the like stream at me (that's Vorbis/Opus/MP3, respectively?)
* whatever files I already have acquired as lossy (vast majority being MP3)
* whatever my voice recorder uses (MP3 or AAC)
* the occasional Opus to fit on a phone and throw away later ... I would go for Opus because I would then know they were my own transcodes (i.e. disposable files).

Meaning that when I actively select to encode, it is Opus for a weird reason.  If/when Opus picks up momentum and I cannot distinguish by that, what then? Do I see a Musepack future?  ???

Reply #15
Opus on my phone, FLAC for home listening and DJing.

Reply #16
To all,

In case you haven't noticed yet:

Habemus multiple choices now!

Thanks to some glitch though, whoever wants to pick more than one format but has already cast their vote, has to click on the 'Remove Vote' button and vote again - up to 5 choices are allowed now.

@korth said he'll remove said button after a couple of weeks.

Edit: Doh! Only now did I notice he's already updated the OP.
But, as far as popular wisdom goes, you can't never have too much of a good thing - information, in this case.
União e reconstrução

Reply #17
Vote changed from "I don't encode or listen to lossy audio on a regular basis" to these 4: "AAC or HE-AAC v1/v2 (.m4a, .aac…)", "MP3 (.mp3)", "Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)", and "Opus (.opus)".

Reply #18
Musepack at Q7 since I'm using a phone as a DAP.

Reply #20
WavPack for my own rips (hybrid mode still provides the ultimate convenience) but since it's not offered on many legal sites like Bandcamp, unfortunately, I go for AAC for downloads.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #22
Hi
nice poll , I voted for mp3 320kb because I has issues of corruption with aac and i could not fixed , I like to buy cds
would be cool a poll about the bitrate for example if most users do prefer v0 or 320 (and maybe settings ) and the bitrate of aac or opus (and settings)
cheers

Reply #23
Hi
nice poll , I voted for mp3 320kb because I has issues of corruption with aac and i could not fixed , I like to buy cds
would be cool a poll about the bitrate for example if most users do prefer v0 or 320 (and maybe settings ) and the bitrate of aac or opus (and settings)
cheers

My preferences for music:

AAC: qaac.exe -v 256 -q 2
MP3: --preset extreme
Opus: --bitrate 256
Vorbis: -q9

For speech I can go as low as 32Kbps for single channel audio.

Reply #24
Switched my Choice since I use my Sony DAP Instead as my Phone Is pure junk.

My main universal choice : LAME MP3 at V3 with some harder stuff at V1.

For speech : LAME at V8.