Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does a crossover DSP introduce digital clipping? (Read 1799 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does a crossover DSP introduce digital clipping?

I'm experimenting with setting up a 2.1 system in my office. I'm trying to keep the hardware footprint to a minimum, so I'm using software for almost everything right now.

My setup:
Win10
VoiceMeeter Potato x64
Potato Insert -> Element (VST Host)
Element -> Potato Insert
Potato -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 v3, ASIO driver
18i8 outputs 1 & 2 -> Mackie XR624 monitors
18i8 outputs 3 & 4 -> SVS SB3000

All of this works ok with no DSP applied, I can play back ultra-compressed audio (e.g., RHCP's Californication - could use white noise at 0dbfs, too) and the 18i8's meters never show clipping.

When I introduce a crossover VST in Element (I'm using ISOL8), and route channels 1 & 2 through it, I immediately see the meters indicate digital clipping on the 18i8. Note that I get the same result using VoiceMeeter's HPF and with Voxengo's BMS VST. To eliminate the clipping, I need to lower gain by 8dB or so. Why?

Given that I see the same behavior with several different crossovers, I suspect this might be inherent, but it's unclear to me why adding a 24db/octave HPF would cause > 7dB peaks (or add any gain at all). What am I missing?