Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sennheiser HD-580 closed alternative (Read 7937 times) previous topic - next topic

Sennheiser HD-580 closed alternative

Hey peeps,

I'm emigrating, so selling up most things, and looking at some travelling as well (hence no open headphones)

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my HD-580's, but what would you recommend (ideally second hand as I don't want to spend money, rather make a bit)?

I want a closed setup, so I don't annoy people on the plane and on travel, and something maybe a bit more compact?

Something that can be driven from a cheap or low power mp3 player would be a bonus

I'd stick with my Jays Q-jays earphones, but they get uncomfortable after a while and want some headphones instead. Just not open.

Reply #1
If you like sennheiser, why not one of the hd 4xx or even the really inexpensive hd 201s that score pretty highly for inexpensive cans.

Reply #2
and something maybe a bit more compact?

You could look into DJ headphones, which often can be folded to be more compact.

or even the really inexpensive hd 201s that score pretty highly for inexpensive cans.

I used the 201 for years and I couldn't use them for more than one hour because my ears started to hurt. Probably circumaural are more confortable, but these aren't really compact usually.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #3
I'd stick with my Jays Q-jays earphones, but they get uncomfortable after a while and want some headphones instead. Just not open.

Already tried to change their eartips to third party more confortable ones?
... I live by long distance.

Reply #4
The hd600 is "newer" version of the hd580,
and the  BRAINWAVZ HM5  was suggested at head-fi as a closed alternative to the the hd600.

I wouldn't use this kind of headphone on plane, nothing is better than iems in these conditions.

Reply #5
Hey peeps,

I'm emigrating, so selling up most things, and looking at some travelling as well (hence no open headphones)

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my HD-580's, but what would you recommend (ideally second hand as I don't want to spend money, rather make a bit)?

I want a closed setup, so I don't annoy people on the plane and on travel, and something maybe a bit more compact?

Something that can be driven from a cheap or low power mp3 player would be a bonus

HD 380

Reply #6
Cheers guys. I think I will look into tips for the q-jays again, and stick with the HD-580 (just get them shipped over once i've settled.

The other alternative, I'm getting some custom ear molds (motorbike ear plugs)....I've always fancied custom molded IEM's but have concerns the drivers they install won't be as good as what I'd like.

Anyone with custom molded....are they comfortable over long periods and do they sound decent?

Reply #8
I've got Etymotic ER4 with custom sleeves. Comfort is excellent. I try to be as frugal with audio purchases (Still rocking Emu 0404 PCI and Fiio E5) but I don't regret a penny with this one.

Reply #9
great stuff  Did you get silicone or acrylic sleeves? I have heard silicone are better for comfort but acrylic are better for sound?

Reply #10
Cheers guys. I think I will look into tips for the q-jays again, and stick with the HD-580 (just get them shipped over once i've settled.

The other alternative, I'm getting some custom ear molds (motorbike ear plugs)....I've always fancied custom molded IEM's but have concerns the drivers they install won't be as good as what I'd like.

Anyone with custom molded....are they comfortable over long periods and do they sound decent?

Sound quality and comfort are the reason that custom molded IEMs exist.

BTW here is an interesting source of headphone and earphone technical reviews:

http://en.goldenears.net

Sorry about the name! ;-)

Reply #11
Cheers for the link, looks interesting.

All sorted (hopefully) for now. I have bought some Comply T-100 foam tips, as the foam Q-Jays one's were very comfortable, but didn't last long. If these are as comfy, they will do for now. Looks like custom molds from the place I am getting my earplugs made are £75, so may be a good option in the longer term.

Thanks a lot for the ideas everyone

Reply #12

If you're looking to wear in planes, noise canceling seems the way to go.

Reply #15
good move on not getting rid of your 580s.

I just went through auditioning (by buying each used and reselling to recoup) a number of flagship headphones. In the end I kept the Senn HD800 and Beyer T1. BUT: my hd580s continue to sound fantastic, and in fact, when the uber revealing nature of the hd800 and T1 find too much fault with mediocre recordings or pressings, The HD580 is just forgiving enough to ALWAYS be enjoyable while delivering a level of performance that is not far off the refinement of the much more expensive headphones.

Never sell your HD580's!