Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NG Playlist grouping: are there any alternative methods? (Read 11978 times) previous topic - next topic

NG Playlist grouping: are there any alternative methods?

I've got lots of unsorted (however properly tagged) music, and i'd like to group it. I don't want any new lines or titles to appear, i just want solid lines between albums to distinguish them.

The problem with the built-in NG playlist grouping is that it creates a new line for each group, and in some parts of some playlists it results in one group line per each track, which is ugly.

The problem with $ifequal(%track number%,1,$ifequal(%list_index%,1,,$set_style(frame-top,1,999999)),) is that it works fine only in some places, but doesn't work with tracks collections from different albums (see shot below).

So, is there any way to group without creating any additional lines? Maybe there is a way to access previous track to see if it's album was the same (e.g. $if($strcmp(%previous_album%,%album%), ... , ... ))?
Or maybe there is a way to permanently store variables for the same purpose? (as variables set with $set_global() are only valid for current track)

Reply #1
If you edit the grouping script in "preferences > CUI > playlist view: grouping tab" you'll see option to show/hide grouping on custom named playlist (you can use wildcards also)
Then you can just untick "show groups" in the same dialog if you don't want groups

[edit]
to be more clear - I think HA foobar playlist naming for singles is with using -s suffix at current playlist name:
i.e. add "-s" at your playlist name and add "*-s" on "hide on playlist" drop down in grouping dialog
also it's wise to customize your columns little bit in this cases, which have same ability to show/hide column on custom playlist names

Reply #2
The problem with $ifequal(%track number%,1,$ifequal(%list_index%,1,,$set_style(frame-top,1,999999)),) is that it works fine only in some places, but doesn't work with tracks collections from different albums (see shot below).

Since what you are after is a dividing line and not a header, I think the $set_style() approach is more in line with what you are asking for. Try focusing on why the line doesnt appear the way you want.  Try something like this instead:

$ifequal(%tracknumber%,1,$set_style(frame-top,1,$rgb(0,0,0)),)
$ifequal(%tracknumber%,%totaltracks%,$set_style(frame-bottom,1,$rgb(0,0,0)),)

As far as I know, %list_index% applies to the item position in the entire playlist and there still is no %group_index%.

Reply #3
As I read the OP again I realize that the problem is with a mixed playlist where the entries are not sorted into albums in track order.

The only way I know to handle this situation is to use a separate playlist for mixed tracks and define a separate style for that playlist. You can go to:
File> Preferences> Display> Columns UI> Playlist View> "Columns" Tab> "Options" Subtab

Then for each existing column change the "Playlist filters" to "Hide on playlists" and right below it enter the name of your mixed track playlist.
Now, create new columns and use custom style scripts, setting the "Playlist filters" to "Show only on plalylists" and enter the name of your mixed track playlist.

On the second set of columns simply remove the code that draws the dividing lines.  I don't know of any way to programatically reference the play list name (%playlist_name%?) so I dont think you can do this with one set of columns using the global style script.