Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can I make my files even smaller? (Read 5197 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I make my files even smaller?

Cliff notes: Can I make -1 produce an even smaller file size?

Howdy all,

I record seminars (mostly vocal, sometimes music feeds too) for my company, I know about speex but unfortunetly, speex has such little support out there that the closest I can get to doing this right is compressing in Vorbis. I also compress to mp3, which is the most popular download anyway. (BOOO!!!!)

Anyway, here is my oggenc command that I execute against MONO audio files:

Code: [Select]
oggenc -q -1 -o /path/to/output/file.ogg /path/to/original/source.wav

WAV file: 533.6MB
Vorbis file: 28.9MB

Bitrate (vorbis): 32 KBit/s (nominal)

Are there any techy settings that will allow me to get a smaller file size?

My whole goal in this is to keep up a good argument for mp3 vs ogg downloads. The Mp3 versions of my recordings are always around ~15MB and my Vorbis files are ~30mb

Thanks so much. I've been lurking for a while and today I became a member!

How can I make my files even smaller?

Reply #1
-1 itself will produce a certain bitrate with certain settings, you can't make a file smaller without changing it's quality. You can go below -1 however, and still produce very acceptable results for voice.

Try using Oggenc2.6. This particular link uses the latest&greatest aotuv b4 encoder, and supports-q-2 for even lower bitrates.

Another thing you might try is resampling, try something like this:

oggenc2.exe -q-2 --resample 16000 -o /path/to/output/file.ogg /path/to/original/source.wav

I'm getting 16.7 kbps when testing the above on a piece of music (mono), and 19.8 kbps with -q-1

Oh, and you could just not offer MP3 files.  If people want to play ogg on their computer using just windows media player, i recommend Illiminable's directshow filters

Hope this helps!
Veni Vidi Vorbis.