Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [troll] Will stay on 1.5.5 because 1.6 sounds bad (Read 2118 times) previous topic - next topic

[troll] Will stay on 1.5.5 because 1.6 sounds bad

Did anybody know if the internal audio process somehow changed in 1.6 as it for me it sounds bad.

I'm playing FLAC via KS or Wasapi Output by an connected USB Device.

Thx,
Regards
Marcus

Re: Will stay on 1.5.5 because 1.6 sounds bad

Reply #1
Read change log, everything is addressed there.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
I already read it, may be this changed something in the general Audio Processing

* Default output mode is now WASAPI shared

But I not expect changes when using KS Output.

Reply #3
I'm using foobar since 10 years, I never have drawbacks in SQ within an update until 1.6, just want to understand what happend and drop something in the forum if somebody face the same issue and start to search it in the hifi components as I did, starting to move the loudspeakers back and forth  :))

Reply #4
You can try with other Wasapi output component (the new default one doesn't support exclusive mode btw).
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #5
Yep, what Vicas said.  The built-in default output is Wasapi shared, which means it's still going through the Windows mixer, which is doing who-knows-what to the sound based on the mixer settings.  Grap the Wasapi Exclusive output plugin linked to by Vicas.

Reply #6
Windows mixer doesn't mutilate the sound. It will just ensure that sound doesn't clip and that multiple sources can play sound together.
In what way is the sound worse with the new version? I'm wondering if perhaps the per-application mixer is stuck at a lower volume level and new foobar is perhaps quieter. People generally think quieter equals worse. If that's the problem you can fix it by turning foobar's volume to maximum in the OS mixer.
The old KS component is for ancient tech and the API it uses was deprecated after Windows XP. It's a miracle you can still use it with something on newer OS. Unless you enable the new smooth fading options the old component should behave like it has always behaved.
But if it doesn't, could you record output from 1.5.5 and 1.6.1 so we can check what's wrong.

Reply #7
I try multiple outputs as KS, Wasapi output (not Wasapi Shared).

Connected is a USB I2S Board from Amanero.

No, it's not the volume, the sound is more harsh, more digital, not that smooth. I have no Idea how something like that is caused by the update, but for me it is  :(

Did you know from development view if the source code is changed somewhere in the audio processing in general  since 1.6 ? 

Regards
Marcus

Reply #8
Go away, TOS #8 turd.

Reply #9
Oh sorry, got it !

May be somebody face the same issue, for me its fine to stay on 1.5.5 !
I never ask to support me to fix that issue, just want to know if something changed in the code, if yes than just want to point out to the developer team that may this had an impact in SQ, just want to keep the application as great as it is..

Best
Marcus

Reply #10
There is v1.5.6, newer than v1.5.5 for you if you want to stay on 1.5 variant. I wonder if changing the buffer size at output help there. Btw I suggest to try with plain portable if you think the issue is related to the core with that component.

Reply #11
Thanks for your suggestions.
Buffer size is good point, often things in digital audio processing related to timing domain / transit jitter.

What do you mean with 'plain portable' ? Android/IOs Version ?

Reply #12
I mean a portable of windows version where you can create it by using installer, plain means no additional components. Then only install the component that you think could reproduce your issue.

Reply #13
Ah thanks for your clarification, that's a good thought.