Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What are your favorite versions of Yes albums? (Read 4267 times) previous topic - next topic

What are your favorite versions of Yes albums?

I'd just like to say that I respect Fresmer for saying that we lost something from going to vinyl to CD.
I agree with the "3d special feeling", I just can't find it when listening to CD.
And I'm saying this "from memory", I  remind how vinyl were great.
But there are other aspect that are great on digital, so I  don't have too much regrets.
Overall, it's like from going to coca cola, to pepsi. Not exactly the same taste,
but you can get used to it.

But in an other hand, I think spending $350,000 on a stereo system is stupid .
Unless you have an insane amount of money to spend. And even it's the case ,
there might be wiser ways to spend such amount of money.

I'm in my late 40's, so I grew up with LPs (and eventually sprang ~$600, early 80's bucks, for an 'entry level' audiophile TT/cart).

I miss the lovely and sometimes elaborate packaging.

Other than that I don't miss anything about them.

We are both avid Yes fans. What are your favorite versions of Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Yessongs and Fragile? I would miss the Piros masterings of The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Yessongs, the Peckam mastering of Relayer, The Hoffman/Gray mastering of Fragile and the first U.K. mastering of Tales. I would very much miss them with the sound of my Forsell/Koetsu combo.

Reply #1
We are both avid Yes fans. What are your favorite versions of Tales from Topographic Oceans

decoded HDCD.  A Japanese LP I bought circa 1985 is also excellent.

, Relayer,

Schrieber  or Marino CDs, though the HDCD is also fun.,

The Yes Album

Any CD version

Close to the Edge,

Gastwirt CD

Yessongs

HDCD with some EQ

and Fragile

Gastwirt

I miss the big album art on all of them,  though the Japanese mini-LP reproductions are jewel-like in themselves.

That answered, what was the point here?

Reply #2
I believe I stated my point as well as I possibly could. Unlike you I *would* miss many LPs were I to abandon the format. That was my point and remains my point. Out of the many hundreds of LPs I would miss I cited a few examples that I thought you *might* be familiar with. I asked for your favorite versions to see if perhaps I were missing something. I think I may seek out the HDCDs you favor. Tales and Yessongs. Heck I should get them anyway. I am a completist when it comes to collecting Yes. But I do have the Relayer HDCD and find it less than fun. I already have the Gastwirt Fragile (pretty good), The Marino Relayer (hate it) and the Gastwirt Close to the Edge (not even my favorite CD version).  So I am not missing anything there. But thanks for the run down on your favorites. It is always interesting to get alternative perspectives on these things.