Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can I preview tracks on headphones while another track is output to sp (Read 3634 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I preview tracks on headphones while another track is output to sp

I want to be able to preview tracks on headphones while another track is output to speakers.  Is this possible in Foobar?  If so, what the best way of doing it?
Zarty

Reply #1
If you have multiple sound cards, You can run a different media player* that plays music normally, while foobar outputs to the other device that's hooked up to your headphones.

You need the hardware split, obviously. You can't send two signals through the same jack

*) or an extra portable installation of foobar?

Reply #2
Ok, two FooAmps and two outputs/soundcards but to make it useful I would want to drive the preview from one (the master) Foobar - effectively telling the Foobar slave what to send to the headphones.  Altneratively... Two copies of Foobar sharing a playlist?  But really, what's required is to be able to simply preview a track and, optionally, queue it to be played without faffing about in two instances of Foobar.  Any other suggestions on this?
Zarty

Reply #3
Simply put, if you want to use Foobar to output two different audio signals, then you need two installations of Foobar: either two portable installations or one portable and one regular.  You may or may not need two soundcards - on my computer I can get sound from headphones from one instance and output from my computer speakers on another.

One Foobar installation can only play one song at a time.  I haven't tried sharing the same playlist file across multiple instances, but it's easy enough to try to see if you can point two Foobar installations to the same playlist and see if you can edit it in one instance and see if it updates in the other.

Reply #4
Yes, all understood thank you.  Is there a way to create a macro in Foobar in such a way that you can right-click on a track and have that script/macro appear as an option?  The script/macro would be coded to run other other instance of Foobar (which is configure one way or the other to output to headphones) and play the track?
Zarty

Reply #5
foo_run might work.

http://mp3tag.de/en/fb2k.html
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #6
Thanks for the tip about foo_run.  Easy setup and worked first time. 
Zarty

Reply #7
you can then assign a keyboard shortcut to the foo_run command.