Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please help me get rid of “Various Artists”, show track artist instead (Read 1467 times) previous topic - next topic

Please help me get rid of “Various Artists”, show track artist instead

Hi! I want to get rid of 'various artists' in my playlists so I've made the custom column to display the artist track if it is VA:
$if([%artist%]="Various Artists",%track artist%,%artist%)
But the thing always displays the track artist. Please tell me why.

Thanks.

Please help me get rid of “Various Artists”, show track artist instead

Reply #1
The artist tag shouldn't be Various Artists. It should only be used in the album artist tag.

%track artist% returns the value of the artist tag when the artist tag differs from the album artist tag. Both tags have to be present for it to work. In other words, %track artist% and %artist% return the same value with the only difference being that the former is conditional upon the presence of a differing album artist tag.

As to your string, the format would be (with correctly formatted tags): $if($stricmp(%album artist%,Various Artists),%track artist%,%artist%), but it's pointless. It essentially says "if the album artist tag value is Various Artists, display the artist tag, otherwise display the artist tag." All you need in this instance is simply %artist%.

If your goal is to only display the artist tag on Various Artists albums, then you could use $if($stricmp(%album artist%,Various Artists),%artist%). You could also use $if($stricmp(%album artist%,Various Artists),%track artist%) but this needlessly causes foobar to compare the album artist and artist tags.

I suggest learning title formatting.