Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burned CD to OGG, bitrate? (Read 10304 times) previous topic - next topic

Burned CD to OGG, bitrate?

So I have this past year discovered the wonder that is FLAC, and I absolutely adore it. Then I discovered OGG (well, looked into it, I've known its' existence for a few years) and was overjoyed by a great solution for keeping majority of quality on my portable audio player.

Sadly, before I discovered these things, I have been using Mp3. Not only that, but I started off using LOW bitrate Mp3's because I didn't realize that there was a difference! (never tested) I eventually burned something at higher quality and then realized my mistakes, which sent me on my journey to discover OGG. But now I have a problem.

I have several burned CDs that are my only source for some music. Whether I burned them or a friend burned them for me (none of my friends have ever understood quality either it seems) I have them, and I know they weren't burned from lossless. So this creates a problem for me. At wot bitrate to I need to rip these files? A tough question to answer, for sure. I have no idea the original bitrate of the files put on any of these CDs (they were all either Mp3 or WMA though, some AAC maybe) and am not sure how to determine this. In fact, I am beginning to think there isn't a way. If there is, please let me know! My primary goal is sound quality, but my secondary goal if possible is low file size. I figure I might as well not waste space on quality that doesn't exist.

So if there is no way, I guess this should be my question: assuming that each CD was burned from 320kbps Mp3 (which I doubt any of them were, I just want to be safe!) what would be a proper OGG bitrate to rip them to? I know I will lose quality, that's a given, but I want to lose as little as possible while minimizing my output size.

Thank you for your assistance  And as a side note, I do plan on obtaining as many of the original CDs for these albums as possible. This is just a temporary solution until that becomes possible (CD's may be cheap nowadays, but I still can't be constantly spending money on them!)

Reply #1
If they were already compressed lossy before, then as high as possible to minimize further throwing away data. There's really not much else you can do here I guess.

Reply #3
If they were already compressed lossy before, then as high as possible to minimize further throwing away data. There's really not much else you can do here I guess.

While I agree, as high as possible would be ~500 kbps, which I think would be overdoing it a little since Mp3's maximum bitrate is 320kbps, and Ogg seems to have higher quality per bitrate to begin with. Should I just go ahead and do 320kbps Ogg, or would lower like 256 be suitable? If no one is really sure, then I will just do a few listening tests I guess.

Reply #4
While I agree, as high as possible would be ~500 kbps, which I think would be overdoing it a little since Mp3's maximum bitrate is 320kbps, and Ogg seems to have higher quality per bitrate to begin with. Should I just go ahead and do 320kbps Ogg, or would lower like 256 be suitable? If no one is really sure, then I will just do a few listening tests I guess.

I would think it heavily depends on the file, but yeah you'll probably be fine with 256 OGG files (especially if the source was indeed not necessarily 320 CBR MP3).

Reply #5
If you want maximal quality, you should rip to a lossless format.

Anyway lossy format - regardless of compression level - will induce additional loss.

Reply #6
I would think it heavily depends on the file, but yeah you'll probably be fine with 256 OGG files (especially if the source was indeed not necessarily 320 CBR MP3).

Okay, I will just go with that then, sounds like a good safe solution. Thanks!

If you want maximal quality, you should rip to a lossless format.

Anyway lossy format - regardless of compression level - will induce additional loss.

While I do want maximal quality, I don't want it so much as to use up space needlessly. Ripping to lossless is the only way I go with the original CDs, but with these burned CDs, it just seems pointless to convert what was likely a 192kbps Mp3 to a FLAC with 900-1100kbps. I am okay with the loss that will come with this compression since the CDs themselves are lossy, I just don't want to get rid of too much.

Thanks for your help everyone! It looks like I will be going with 256kbps Ogg!