Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Email notifications for subscribed threads (Read 4996 times) previous topic - next topic

Email notifications for subscribed threads

Is it just me, or do emails sometimes not get sent when a message is posted to a thread you are subscribed to?  What I am finding (I think) is that if I post to (or start) a thread and, at the same time, subscribe to it, I don't get any notifications until (a) a reply has been posted, and (b) I then (unprompted) revisit that thread.  In other words, the subscription doesn't seem to kick in straightaway, it seems to need a gentle prod in the ribs. 

Maybe this is by design, although  I can't think why.
I am an independent software developer (VinylStudio) based in UK

Reply #1
Although this doesn't sound completely relevant, is it possible that you are subscribing using "Delayed Emailed Notification" rather than "Immediate Email Notification"?

"Delayed Emailed Notification"
This option will send out a notification if a new topic or reply has been made and you're not active on the board.

"Immediate Email Notification"
This option will send out a notification immediately after a new topic or reply has been made regardless of your activity.

I always subscribe using "Immediate", and have never noticed any problems.  Maybe the "Delayed" option is a little screwed.  If you look at your subscriptions in "My Controls" it will tell you the subscription type.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
I don't want to start another topic, but I have quite opposite issue with email notifications. I get multiple emails (one for each new post) to threads I am subscribed to, despite only one email should be sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. "Immediate" option can fill my mailbox with 10 mails in just one day, when the topic is popular ("2009 ripping/encoding general poll" being an example). "Delayed" helps a little bit, but there are multiple mails generated too. Notifications weren't behaving like that few months ago I think...
Not really a Signature.

Reply #3
I hardly ever get notifications either...except for the ReFlacer thread for which I got rather a lot of repeats.

Also if I've subscribed to a topic i.e. "Enable email notification of replies" has been previously checked it should be checked if I reply again but it never is.

Reply #4
Notifications weren't behaving like that few months ago I think...

It would seem that HA changed the way the board behaves. I have voted:
  • email for every new post to the subscribed topic (old HA forum setting)
Here's that topic, "Immediate Email Notification" setting POLL.
Z68A-G43*i7-3770*Ven. 2x4GB 2133MHz*WD 1TB 64MB SATA*Win7 Pro/64