Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Archiving Audio. WavPack; stick or twist? (Read 27928 times) previous topic - next topic

Archiving Audio. WavPack; stick or twist?

Reply #75
So FLAC can't handle 24 bit audio. What other codec can I use to encode my 24 bit audio? I have one 24 bit audio will it lose quality if I encode it to FLAC?

But FLAC can handle 24 bit audio, so you wouldn't lose any information by transcoding to it.

Oh I see I must've misread it. Thanks
I will think about tomorrow's problem tomorrow

Reply #76
Thanks Bryant, I really appreciate your input on this topic. The files affected are 30 min plus (audio dramas). I was doing something else while listening to them so I may well of missed the audible defects you mentioned. In any case the files play from start to finish. Interestingly most of the files affected are multi-track files and each are over 100 MB. Do you think this is coincidence or would it be safer to go for smaller files (one track per file) with regards to file longevity\minimizing chance of corruption?

I don't think there is any advantage to going to short files, especially if that's less convenient, because a single HDD error is going to result in a single defect either way. I record FM radio shows using Rockbox directly to WavPack, and they're often over 250 MB, and I've never had an issue.

BTW, you can use the command-line wvunpack program to tell you how many errors you have in any file by just verifying the files with the "-v" option.

Reply #77
So FLAC can't handle 24 bit audio. What other codec can I use to encode my 24 bit audio? I have one 24 bit audio will it lose quality if I encode it to FLAC?

But FLAC can handle 24 bit audio, so you wouldn't lose any information by transcoding to it.

Possibly you have seen that FLAC cannot handle floating-point. If that is what you want, then you are reading the right thread.

Reply #78

Possibly you have seen that FLAC cannot handle floating-point. If that is what you want, then you are reading the right thread.

So is it safe to use FLAC for 24 bit audio?

Reply #79
The FLAC format supports lossless audio at 4-32 integer bits per sample.  The reference encoder, and so in practice almost all encoders, only supports up to 24 bits per sample.  So feel free to use it.

Reply #80
The FLAC format supports lossless audio at 4-32 integer bits per sample.  The reference encoder, and so in practice almost all encoders, only supports up to 24 bits per sample.  So feel free to use it.

OK thanks that ease my mind

Reply #81
Thanks Bryant, I really appreciate your input on this topic. The files affected are 30 min plus (audio dramas). I was doing something else while listening to them so I may well of missed the audible defects you mentioned. In any case the files play from start to finish. Interestingly most of the files affected are multi-track files and each are over 100 MB. Do you think this is coincidence or would it be safer to go for smaller files (one track per file) with regards to file longevity\minimizing chance of corruption?

I don't think there is any advantage to going to short files, especially if that's less convenient, because a single HDD error is going to result in a single defect either way. I record FM radio shows using Rockbox directly to WavPack, and they're often over 250 MB, and I've never had an issue.
I use my Rockbox'ed iRiver H120 to record cassette tapes (and FM recordings like bryant) direct to WavPack and have never had a problem. I had one recent recording reach ~650mb without any issues.