Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: more 192kHz nonsense? (Read 13873 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: more 192kHz nonsense?

Reply #26
Wanna bet Hans can't hear a damn thing above ~17kHz?

Reply #27
I like his videos. Don't get me wrong, i don't believe what he's telling us, but I certainly get some enjoyment from them. Occasionally there is a little nugget of truth in there, but it's heavily buried in audiophile propaganda.

I love the fact that he positions himself in front of an oscilloscope that's clearly not been used for a decade or so.

Reply #28
Wanna bet Hans can't hear a damn thing above ~17kHz?

At his age there is no-one that hears above that, thats just a simple fact of aging. Ever seen anyone above 60 years that hears 18KHz+? I haven't. I am 35 and never been to loud places and even Even I have a hard time hearing anything at 17KHz. Even then how much is it of influence of enjoying music?
They tell you sound above 20KHz matter because it influences anything under that frequency, which I doubt makes any audible difference. You can easily test that with a (software) cutoff filter and enable/disable this (blind) and see what it does. If a higher frequency has altered al lower frequency it is already recorded in the lower frequencies. It just the same with radio signals, you cannot filter out interference this way.

They now focus on jitter. Everything is about jitter these days. Even decoding a Flac which a modern CPU can do at even 400x real would induce jitter. I call it bullshit unless someone can show the opposite.

Reply #29
I'm 33 and I already have trouble hearing above 14kHz. I used to be able to tell the TV was on 3 rooms away just by hearing the CRT's coil whine. This was before I knew what coil whine was, among other things.
I doubt Hans hears anything above 10kHz.

Reply #30
I like his videos.
Me too. Much like I enjoy watching clowns.
His recent one about PCM/DSD being as lossy as MQA, is priceless, including the inane blathering about turntables at the beginning.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #31
That's the video he blocked me. Just watch the replies, some disappear spontaneous.
3 days ago there where 13 replies, now just 9. Those who tell the truth or are critical are removed.
If you ask him to explain some technical details, he forwards you to one of his other videos.
Discussions are not allowed.... replies will be removed.
Still I like to watch his funny videos....

Reply #33
There was once, IIRC a video of him that I gave so much comment about that he put the video offline. That was the moment I stepped out. It was so full of bullshit. The excuse was that his video was okay but our comments were outrageous :P

Reply #34
192k files are guaranteed to take up a lot of space and must be downsampled to be played on a lot of hardware.

Reply #35
His recent one about PCM/DSD being as lossy as MQA, is priceless, including the inane blathering about turntables at the beginning.
Yes, it's embarrassing.

The question whether an encoding of PCM is lossless or not is a quite well defined and clear question. And the answer to that in case of MQA is no. Because he doesn't like that answer, he deflects the topic to the question whether audio recording as a whole can be lossless. That alone would be hilarious, but the blathering about turntables and analog tapes is the hit. Have you counted how often he uses the word "miracle"?

This is just incoherent rambling of someone who has lost the plot.