Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mark a track as non-playing, Different quicksearch (Read 3484 times) previous topic - next topic

Mark a track as non-playing, Different quicksearch

Hi.

I'm wrtiting to you dear foobar2000 developers in the hope that this is the right place (well, if it isn't, somewhere's got to be, so you may point me to there if it's the case). This is not a feature request, it's a call for ideas on plug-in development (well, eventually someone may come to the conclusion that no new plug-ins are required for my purposes - I'm only posting this here because I think they are).

Like, I suppose, most of you, I hold foobar2000 in the highest regard and wouldn't think of using any other player. However, I've come to the point I'd like to change some of its behaviour to suit my own preferences, which I think, are somewhat different from most of you. Probably I'm just from the pre-technological era, but that's the way I am and it won't change.

I want to be able to use foobar2000 with a minimum interaction, and I was never into playlists at all. People who can use them have all my admiration, but I can't bring myself to spend more than a few seconds with a media player and the idea of actually *using* it is a complete non-starter (except for its other abilities other than a strict player, of course). I want to be able to have it play my whole library at random most of the time, and, just once in a while, restrict its selection by typing something on the quicksearch field.

In all, what I suppose I have to program is:

1. The ability to mark a track as 'non-playing'. There's this wonderful album I like, except for one or two tracks which I just can't stand. For all the reasons I mentioned and then some, I just won't create a playlist without the track(s). I only want to tag them so that they are always skipped during playback. Notice the nuance - I don't want to delete them; possibly, I want to be able to play them on manual demand. But I want them to be circumvented during any other type of playback, be it random or sequential. I should mention most of my library is a set of cue files plus a set of corresponding flac files. I can hardly think of listening to a CD through it. The question here is whether you think the library can support such a tag, or even if it already does.

2. An iTunes-like quicksearch. Quicksearch offers almost the same behaviour, and is much more flexible. But I want to:

- Have the results panel show the entire filtered main library on the fly, as iTunes does

- The field blank should show everything with no filter, as iTunes does

- I suppose Quicksearch works by creating a new playlist from the search results and sending it immediately to the Default playlist. I was hoping for a more efficient way to do that - say, always keep the default playlist in sync with the main library, or even in fact resync them on startup, and filter the playlist instead. If this alternative doesn't buy any clock cycles or disk life, it's of course of no interest.

- Eventually, have this behaviour as the only possible, without further need for configuration. The idea being to economise on UI and plug-in architecture.

I'd appreciate your suggestions on how maybe the above is already available, or what SDK pointers I might find useful.

Thanks,
--
António Marques

Reply #1
Quicksearch can search the media library.

as for the always playing randomness,
here's all I'd do:
1.Startup foobar
2. click the playlist.
3. ctrl+A
4. Del
5. File ->add directory
6. Click OK.

If you want to make it quicker, I'm sure you could at least set one button clear the playlist.
and maybe another to open the add directory dilogue.
then it'd always be a simple 3 clicks.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
1. The ability to mark a track as 'non-playing'. There's this wonderful album I like, except for one or two tracks which I just can't stand. For all the reasons I mentioned and then some, I just won't create a playlist without the track(s). I only want to tag them so that they are always skipped during playback. Notice the nuance - I don't want to delete them; possibly, I want to be able to play them on manual demand. But I want them to be circumvented during any other type of playback, be it random or sequential. I should mention most of my library is a set of cue files plus a set of corresponding flac files. I can hardly think of listening to a CD through it. The question here is whether you think the library can support such a tag, or even if it already does.

--->use foo_skip
Sorry for the bad english, I'm french .

Reply #3
--->use foo_skip

Thanks, I think foo_skip may hit the mark for my first point. To be honest, I'm thinking of a different approach, though not necessarily a better one.

For the rest I suppose I'll take a look at the search APIs.