Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516835 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #475
I don't recall WMP ever moving ALAC files back to Other media, so I don't think that WMP will re-query the type of songs once they have been added to the library. In fact, "Refresh song tags" needs to remove ALAC songs from the library first and then add them again to force a re-query by WMP.

Note that even if WMP does re-query the type of songs already in the library, the ALAC files will stay in Music as long as WMP Tag Plus is enabled.

Reply #476
Thanks Tim.

Sounds like there is some information I'm not providing.

Here is the workflow:

Client machine:
Win7 x64
WMP12
WMP Tag Plus
Music library contains one location: \\server\music (so this is monitored for new music)

Sever machine:
WHS 2011 (Windows server 2008R2 effectively)
MyMovies (this automates ripping and tagging of CDs to ALAC, MP3 etc.)
Share \\server\music is the default location for these CD rips

So CDs are being ripped to \\server\music. On the client machine these new files show up in WMP almost immediately, in the "Other media" section.

The only way to have them move to Music is to run "Refresh song tags" as discussed.

I suppose my question therefore is: Do I need to manually add these newly ripped files to the Music library? Or is there something else I can do to have them added there automatically?

Hope this makes sense and I'm not missing your point.

Reply #477
Once WMP Tag Plus is installed and loaded, you shouldn't need to use "Refresh song tags" for any new ALAC files - they should all automatically go to Music.

Just to be sure, is \\server\music a location in the normal, local library on the client machine? (opposed to a shared library which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support)

Are you sure that WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP while the ALAC files get added to the library? If it is in fact loaded then this may be an issue in WMP Tag Plus. You can check by going to Tools - Plug-ins in WMP - the WMP Tag Plus item there should be checked (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

Reply #478
Just to be sure, is \\server\music a location in the normal, local library on the client machine? (opposed to a shared library which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support)

Yep it's just in the normal music library on the local machine.

Are you sure that WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP while the ALAC files get added to the library? If it is in fact loaded then this may be an issue in WMP Tag Plus. You can check by going to Tools - Plug-ins in WMP - the WMP Tag Plus item there should be checked (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

Yep it's definitely ticked and loaded. The behaviour is the same whether WMP is running whilst files are being added to \\server\music, or if I load it up at a later time - all files stay in Other media.

Thanks again Tim.

Reply #479
Then this indeed sounds like an issue in WMP Tag Plus. I'll try to reproduce it on my Windows 7 system this weekend. If I can't reproduce it myself, I'll send you a debug version of WMP Tag Plus to find out more.

What's weird about this is that "Refresh song tags" does work correctly, even though new ALAC files are handled in exactly the same way.

Reply #480
Thanks Tim. If you can't get a repro just come back to me and I'll do everything I can to help. Very comfortable with the engineering process so just let me know what I can do. I'll PM you my email address in case that's simpler.

Reply #481
In the meantime, could you please copy one of the affected ALAC files to the local Music folder on the client machine? Does that file also get added to Other media instead of to Music in WMP's library? Thanks!

Reply #482
Sorry for the delay.

I don't have a local music folder - my music library only contains \\server\music (no other locations).

So instead, with WMP open (I'm not sure if this is significant), I put some ALAC files in a local folder (D:\music), then added that to the library. The songs appeared immediately in the music section of WMP.

Next I added some more files to the local folder; two of 12 appeared immediately. The rest are not in "other media" either. In fact I can't find them anywhere in the library views of WMP.

Finally, with WMP closed, I copied another bunch of ALAC files to the local directory, then reopened it. I noted in the status bottom right it said "Scanning D:\music", then it completed. None of the new ALACs were in Music nor "Other media".

I am still going ahead and ripping these CDs. There are now a few hundred .m4a files in "Other media", which aren't getting moved out.

Reply #483
I followed this up with Robbidoo by e-mail and we concluded that the issue most likely occurs because the files are ripped directly to a folder monitored by WMP. In that case it wouldn't be a bug in WMP Tag Plus but rather in WMP itself.

The workaround is to rip to an intermediary folder (not monitored by WMP) and only move the ripped files to the monitored folder after the rip has completed.

However, this still doesn't explain the issues when copying ALAC files to the local music folder and when WMP isn't running while ripping. I have asked Robbidoo to contact me again would those issues reoccur.

Reply #484
Sorry to have gone quiet Tim.

Yep ripping to an intermediary folder works around this issue.

I'm not sure exactly what the behaviour is when copying a file to a local music library folder without WMP running (can't remember). I'll do some experiments and report back.

Reply #485
Hi!
Any chance to add support for dts/dtsma ?

P.S. foobar2000 can even display covers for dts/dtsma

Reply #486
No, I currently don't have any plans to add such support. But note that any developer can write their own tag support pretty quickly by using the WMP Tag Plus SDK.

Or, even better, support for DTS tagging could be added to the TagLib library. It seems that DTS internally stores tags in APEv2 format (which TagLib already supports). Once TagLib supports DTS, I could easily incorporate this into WMP Tag Plus since the plug-in already uses TagLib for other file formats.

Reply #487
Hi,
I want to add my wote for a star rating write back to the file (at least for FLAC)
I keep my music files on home server and access it from different computers in the house. Also I synchronize them to my laptop to have with me offline.
When i move from computer to computer my ratings does not follow me
Thanks for the great software!

Reply #488
Hi, In the advance tab there is a tag that says (RequestState 2) what does it mean and do I need it? Thanks!

Reply #489
This topic is for WMP Tag Plus, which is a different plug-in than Windows Media Player Plus. Please post in the correct topic next time: [a href='index.php?showtopic=80263']Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP[/a]

As for your question, RequestState is an internal WMP tag so you probably shouldn't edit it. The official documentation is pretty vague, but I believe that WMP uses the tag for syncing to a device.

Reply #490
Hi Tim,

thanks for this magnificent tool. I have a question for you. I opened my music library in wmp12 and inserted a new live album from red hot chili peppers which I downloaded from their website in flac. When it's time for a song to finish you can hear a gap before the next one starts. This is very annoying because live tracks usually heard as one full sequence with no fade in's and out's. Then I checked that wmp doesn't play the whole song. For example if a song's duration is 05:50, the windows media player stops playing at 05:46. Is there anything I can do for this issue. I checked playing the same songs on Winamp and it sound perfect just as it should.

Reply #491
Which duration does the library show for that particular song?

Which codec did you install for FLAC playback in WMP?

If you installed a DirectShow codec (which is most likely) then you indeed won't get gapless playback in WMP. WMP only supports gapless playback if the music format is being decoded by a Media Foundation codec. MFFLAC is such a Media Foundation codec for FLAC, so I suggest that you try that.

Reply #492
Which duration does the library show for that particular song?

Which codec did you install for FLAC playback in WMP?

If you installed a DirectShow codec (which is most likely) then you indeed won't get gapless playback in WMP. WMP only supports gapless playback if the music format is being decoded by a Media Foundation codec. MFFLAC is such a Media Foundation codec for FLAC, so I suggest that you try that.

The duration wmp shows is correct. I installed xiph.org. I just used the codec you suggested me. Of course I uninstalled xiph first. Things seems better but I just found that I totally lost the tag names in windows explorer. When I try to edit them it shows me that an error message that cannot modified. I installed FLAC property handler in order to edit FLAC tags in the windows explorer window.

Reply #493
Yes, MFFLAC registers its own property handler, but one that only provides basic properties such as duration and bitrate, and none of the editable tags. Reinstalling the FLAC Property Handler should fix this.

Reply #494
Yes, MFFLAC registers its own property handler, but one that only provides basic properties such as duration and bitrate, and none of the editable tags. Reinstalling the FLAC Property Handler should fix this.

Tim sorry for the delay. I already did that before your post and I already saw the difference. Thank you very much for your support. I never imagined that my PC would work FLAC files, just like the way I do with WMA lossless. I am excited and also frustrated with these guys in Microsoft. Is it so difficult to embed these specs in Windows??? Any way thank you.

Reply #495
Announcement: TagLib, the tagging library used by WMP Tag Plus, was recently updated to version 1.8. The most important change with regard to WMP Tag Plus is that Musepack SV8 support has been added.

Because of this, I have made an updated version of the WMP Tag Plus TagLibTagSupport.dll file with TagLib 1.8 included. This file is available for download here.

After downloading, make sure that WMP is closed, simply replace the old TagLibTagSupport.dll file in the WMP Tag Plus Program Files folder with the new one, and restart WMP. If there already are Musepack SV8 files in your library, you will need to remove them from the library first and then re-add them (Tools - Advanced - Restore deleted library items).

You should only use the newer TagLibTagSupport.dll file if you need Musepack SV8 support. Otherwise, it's probably better to wait until the next official WMP Tag Plus release.

Reply #496
I have been testing the new dll, for two days now. All my mpc sv8 are now showing length, and seeking is possible now. I had to rebuild the Library, because "Refresh Song Tags "did not work (it said it found no tunes with tags to refresh). Now everything is fine. Tim, thank you very, very much...

Reply #497
Exactly, "Refresh song tags" doesn't detect Musepack SV8 files (I should have checked that before posting). I have corrected my previous post, thanks for letting me know.

Reply #498
Well, it wasn't much of an issue since I'm used to rebuild the whole Library from time to time. Many thanks and i hope you're enjoying this end of the year

Reply #499
I'm using Tag Plus and ran into a tag-related problem, so I'm hoping Tim or one of the other experts here can point me in the right direction.

I'm slowly switching over to FLAC files, and would like to integrate them into an existing WMP MP3 library, in order to stream to my audio system via a Grace tuner. (The tuner detects the computer as a UPNP device, and reads the WMP database to organize by tags.) Used the xiph codec and Tag Plus to bring the FLAC files into WMP, and everything behaved as expected. The WMP library displays the newly-imported FLAC files and tags, and WMP 12 plays them on the computer.

But the Grace tuner doesn't recognize these FLAC files as music, or see their tags, as it does with the MP3 files in the WMP library. It does recognize and play FLAC files from a directory structure in an external storage drive that's not integrated into the WMP library -- so it looks likely that the problem is how the FLAC files and tags are being integrated into WMP.

In poking around, this is the identical behavior displayed by Windows Explorer (Win7/32). Directories set up for music files display the file details from the tags of the MP3 files -- but none from the FLAC files imported to WMP via Tag Plus.

So here's the question: if Explorer looks at different sets of tags than those used by WMP, where are those tags located and can I get at them via Tag Plus to see if those are the same tags that the Grace tuner also needs to identify / play the FLAC files that are now imported into the WMP libraries?

Thanks in advance.