Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 CD Portables Roundup (Read 3485 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Throughout the forums and on the net everybody is suggesting a different model. On the net I read that iRiver's iMP players have rolled-off and a bit distorted highs, rolled-off lows, a bit of hiss - all in all inferior quality when compared to Sony. Then again, some of the Sony's players can't read 320kbps (or VBR that contains 320kbps frames) and don't have the line out. Philips has it's own problems with battery life. I can't find a decent comparison anywhere, like "model X has less hiss than Y, and Y has better defined lows than Z". On this forum, lots of people say that the iMP players did the "trick" for them and there are people claiming that for Sony, too.

My question is this:

Did anyone have at least two different brands of MP3 CD portables, so that he or she can compare them? Is there an objective comparison, really? Or at least rough comparison?

My priorities are:

1. absolute priority: sound quality,
2. battery life,
3. presence of line-out,
4. robustness.

I am thinking of buying something in the price range of iRiver iMP-450 (iMP-400), but then again, if the Sony's have better sound quality...

Your opinions on this subject?

PS: sorry for this kind of topic once again, but the answers on other topics/places didn't satisfy my nitpickyness. :(

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Reply #1
go out and buy a cheap one that works, stop reading head-fi if a disposable item made by 13-year olds and replaced by a new model that's blue is worth more than an hour of your life. if you use it as a portable, it'll be repeatedly dropped during exercise unless you staplegun those neoprene straps to yourself. or get stolen/lost. in 3-4 years, it's obselete anyhow. they generally seem the same, remotes on some are cooler, but you're not going to find a levinson discman and if you get too obsessed, you'll end up one of the people with a 1992 sony with a slightly more robust amp, but took 390 dollars and 3 months to find.

it all comes down to imagining the "demanding" portable user walking through compton with the 650's, cardas,and some huge amp and retro discman, tripping over 23 feet of cords. don't be that guy. the things are commodities at this point, basically the fast-food ketchup packets of the audio world, they work, aren't exciting, come from the same supply closet, get thrown out quickly, and only should matter if they don't turn on or they've got a roach on them.

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Reply #2
-imp- you have put up a very good question, and it's well worded.
It's a question I too, should like answered. The choice is so confusing for me.

Unlike our friend jamesattufts, I am not in the habit of dropping my music players. My old reliable (not cheap) mindisk sits in my shirt pocket, with headphone wire laying on my neck, and earpieces sat in my ears. I don't need remote. I don't need to look cool.

Like you -imp- I want to listen to quality music, without the battery giving up, and using a robust piece of kit - that tends to last me a few years - with (line out) links to my HiFi/PC.

Will you audio folk help us make an intelligent informed choice.

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Reply #3
deleted

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Reply #4
Anykey,

You just created a loop (self-reference) LOL.

Triza

MP3 CD Portables Roundup

Reply #6
Hello IMP. Good question, although I recall that HydrogenAudio is subject to strict protocols in the field of audio quality evaluation : read again the Term Of Service number 8.
Under this rule, it is perfectly possible to measure the hiss of a given player, of its frequency response. The "bass definition" however won't be discussed unless an objective way of quantifying it is found.

What we can discuss too is
-VBR support
-Tag support
-320 kbps support
-22.05, 32, and 48 kHz sample rate support
-Gapless playback
-Correct lenght display
Etc

I have not studied MP3 players, but there is a discussion about them where you might find some informations : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....wtopic=6788&hl=