Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Digital Audio Survey (Complete and Online!) (Read 4444 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital Audio Survey (Complete and Online!)

The survey I made to gather data on the use and preference of digital audio is now online. It's a short, 28 question survey questionaire regarding digital audio and computer's and PMPs. The data of the survey will be used for a personal and school project that will benefit the use of digital music through playback devices such as PCs, PMPs, etc. Please, take part in the survey and spread the word about it.

You can find it here at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/digitalaudiosurvey

Reply #1
21 left me confused, & the income questions didn't say which currency. I answered "No answer" to those three.

Reply #2
21 left me confused, & the income questions didn't say which currency. I answered "No answer" to those three.

I admit that #21 is quite long, but I made it in a way to seem unbiased as I possibly could make it. It's basically asking the respondent whether or not s/he would prefer to use a lossy or lossless format, or even both

The income questions are intended for americans, as indicated by the ($) sign. I feel bad about those ones, I should have included international currency.... Nevertheless, I can sort of get away with demographics by using the age question.

Reply #3
I don't know if it'll show up in the end, but I am the type of person who wants at least an archive digital copy of my music for when I want a hifi listening session, but I'm still happy when I just turn it on to fill the house while I'm moving around.  I'm also happy to compress it for my portable player because I understand that it's not mission critical, and I can fit more songs on it.  so for me #21 made sense.  But for the question about how sound quality matters to me, I wrote that it's sometimes important.  I would have answered, "sometimes sound quality is of the utmost importance, and many times it's not a big deal," if that was an option.  So, the later questions about my files and compression, I answered about preferring high quality over greater compression. 

interesting survey.  let us know what you find!

Reply #4
21 is an odd one as it's asking if I would do what I already do with no option to say this.

Reply #5
I am the type of person who wants at least an archive digital copy of my music for when I want a hifi listening session

As if people can't get a hifi listening session with transparent lossy?  May I suggest you replace the word "listening" with "placebo", or do you have some ABX results indicating you have golden ears?

Reply #6

I admit that #21 is quite long, but I made it in a way to seem unbiased as I possibly could make it. It's basically asking the respondent whether or not s/he would prefer to use a lossy or lossless format, or even both

I use Lame V0, a lossy codec, but more than thoroughly transparent to me, i.e. no quality loss for listening - that's why I was confused. I don't consider "lossy" to mean quality loss, just not bit-perfect.

The income questions are intended for americans, as indicated by the ($) sign. I feel bad about those ones, I should have included international currency.... Nevertheless, I can sort of get away with demographics by using the age question.

There are numerous dollar, & other, currencies which use the $ sign. Are you filtering out non-US IPs? Some of those exchange rates are wildly different & will really throw your results out.

Reply #7
I am the type of person who wants at least an archive digital copy of my music for when I want a hifi listening session

As if people can't get a hifi listening session with transparent lossy?  May I suggest you replace the word "listening" with "placebo", or do you have some ABX results indicating you have golden ears?

Yes I have golden ears! ... (I mean... until i did that abx thingy)... but nevertheless!

Just because people haven't trained their ears, to be able to discern, doesn't proove a thing!

/sarcasm

Reply #8
I'm one survey away from away and getting a 90% confidence level representing the general population. I would highly prefer if I got a confidence level of 95%, which requires 500 survey respondents, so please, send the link to the survey to your friends, family, and or associates!!! Remember, this is for a good cause

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/digitalaudiosurvey

Reply #9
i'd be interested in the results. are you going to publish it? was a good survey with good questions.