Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC to ALAC to iPhone (Read 4133 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC to ALAC to iPhone

Hi,

ive done some searching and can find some topics similar, but none to answer my specific question.

Im using foobar2000 to sync my iphone. the ipod plugin has a setting in which you can tell it to convert any unsupported formats to one supported by the iphone/ipod.
the majority of my music library is in mp3, however im slowly replacing this with flac. im not audiophile, however i do spend enough money on headphones and such to want to ensure i have the best quality i can even on a portable.
what im trying to achieve is using the setting to automatically convert unsupported formats is to have it transcode my flac files to alac files and put them on my iphone without me having to manually do this. this would save me a lot of effort with having to essentially have 2 copies of my music library, one for listening and one for iphone.

i have a component that allows foobar to decode alac files, however to be able to encode them it needs and exe. if anyone knows how to do this it would be appreciated.

FLAC to ALAC to iPhone

Reply #1
Quote from: lawlorz link=msg=0 date=
i have a component that allows foobar to decode alac files, however to be able to encode them it needs and exe. if anyone knows how to do this it would be appreciated.

See this topic, especially the messages about qaac which will encode to ALAC.

FLAC to ALAC to iPhone

Reply #2
There's a few options there:

ffmpeg: Use parameters "-i - -acodec alac %d"
CUEtools: Use parameters "-5 --quiet - -o %d" - Slow, but compresses better.
qaac: Use parameters "-A - -o %d" - Requires QuickTime
iTunesEncode: Use parameters "-e Lossless Encoder -i %s -o %d" - Requires iTunes. For some reason the output file seems to disappear here 

Note, some ALAC encoders has problems preserving all frames, thus will not be completely lossless. I'm still not fully aware of which encoders that has this problem, but I'm soon to test it using the above encoders.

Update: I just did a quick test and could not replicate the problem above, so it might not be an issue with any of these encoders.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

FLAC to ALAC to iPhone

Reply #3
awesome, thanks guys. it appears to be working.