Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New study detects ringing of the global atmosphere (Read 2655 times) previous topic - next topic

New study detects ringing of the global atmosphere

A ringing bell vibrates simultaneously at a low-pitched fundamental tone and at many higher-pitched overtones, producing a pleasant musical sound. A recent study, just published in the Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences by scientists at Kyoto University and the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, shows that the Earth's entire atmosphere vibrates in an analogous manner, in a striking confirmation of theories developed by physicists over the last two centuries.  In the case of the atmosphere, the "music" comes not as a sound we could hear, but in the form of large-scale waves of atmospheric pressure spanning the globe and travelling around the equator, some moving east-to-west and others west-to-east. Each of these waves is a resonant vibration of the global atmosphere, analogous to one of the resonant pitches of a bell.
~ phys.org/news/2020-07-global-atmosphere
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: New study detects ringing of the global atmosphere

Reply #1
A very good example proving that we are surrounded by music all the time. There were several videos on social media lately about the strange trumpet noise in the sky, maybe that's these vibrations are the exact reason for this phenomenon? I've never heard such a thing but my brother claims that he heard it when he's been on a Europe trip to get his Montenegrin passport. In fact, I feel lucky not to hear such noise because probably I would lose my mind right away..