Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request: Remember Equalizer settings on exit even when it is disabled (Read 989 times) previous topic - next topic

Request: Remember Equalizer settings on exit even when it is disabled

Hi.

This "issue" is going on since always. You enable the eq, define some settigns... disable equalizer for some reasion, exit foobar, run it again and the settings are lost.

This is very annoying because, in my case, I use to have various listening modes: speakers or headphones, for example. Headphones (Etys ER4P) need a litte bit of tweak (mostly lower the 5 Khz band and raise some lows), but speakers doesn't need that.

So when listening with speakers, I simply disable de equalizer. When pluggin the earphones, I enable it.

But if I restart the app in "speakers mode" (eq disabled), the curve is lost, so I have to recreate it again or load the settings file, and I know that this is some sort of first world problem thing, but it will be great to simply make foobar remember the eq settings at exit even if it is disabled.

Thanks!
foobar2000->[Leckerton Audio UHA-3 | FiiO E10 | Steinberg UR22 MKII]->[Etymotic ER4-P/S | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm | Sennheisser HD 6XX]

Re: Request: Remember Equalizer settings on exit even when it is disabled

Reply #1
Hi there,

This used to bother me too, especially when only using the EQ for one reason. You can make keyboard or toolbar shortcuts to switch DSP presets quickly, if you have not already done so.

Do you change the output device when switching between speakers and headphones? If so, there is this Dynamic DSP component that might help to apply the EQ automatically. (I have not used it though so no clue how to setup)

Side note: with regards to auto DSP, there is also Playlist Atrributes which can apply them per-playlist. Very handy.

Cheers :)

Reply #2
It's easy enough to create a DSP preset with no EQ (or no DSPs), and DSP presets with different EQ configurations.
The DSP switcher is under the right click menu on the menu bar or tool bar. I put the DSP switcher itself on the menu bar.

Reply #3
It's easy enough to create a DSP preset with no EQ (or no DSPs), and DSP presets with different EQ configurations.
The DSP switcher is under the right click menu on the menu bar or tool bar. I put the DSP switcher itself on the menu bar.

Man I can't believe I"ve missed this incredibly useful functionality--THANKS yetanotherid for the "reveal"!

Reply #4
Whoah, long term user and I was totally missing this feature... Thanks.
foobar2000->[Leckerton Audio UHA-3 | FiiO E10 | Steinberg UR22 MKII]->[Etymotic ER4-P/S | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm | Sennheisser HD 6XX]

Reply #5
Don't feel too bad. The DSP switcher toolbar item is relatively new (version 1.4).
You could achieve the same thing with DSP presets in the past, but not as conveniently.

Reply #6
As a side note, there's also this EQ DSP.
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq
In addition to being 31 band, it has a volume control. You can also type in values as well as using the faders, and left and right channels can be (optionally) configured independently.

The only downside seems to be the inability to add it to the GUI as a UI element as you can with the foobar2000 EQ.
I workaround that by disabling the EQ as a DSP preset and using the fb2k EQ for when I want to do some quick EQ fiddling in the GUI.

As another side note, that's probably where the DSP switcher could interact with the GUI elements a little better. For example, if I select my "No DSP" preset and enable the EQ in the GUI, the selected preset doesn't change even though the EQ is now an active DSP. It'd be better if the displayed DSP preset showed something like "No DSP (Modified)".