Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.4b19 - visualizations on toolbar don't have native borders anymore (Read 2447 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.4b19 - visualizations on toolbar don't have native borders anymore

I tested foobar2000 v1.4b19, and I have noticed that visualizations on toolbar don't have native borders anymore, and now they use just white background. It doesn't fit standard Windows theme. Is there a way to return back these borders and backgrounds?

Re: foobar2000 v1.4b19 - visualizations on toolbar don't have native borders anymore

Reply #1
For me visualizations on toolbar in 1.4 beta 20 look exactly the same as in 1.3.17.

Re: foobar2000 v1.4b19 - visualizations on toolbar don't have native borders anymore

Reply #2
The visualization boxes indeed do not have borders since the interface was "flattened" for Windows 10 in the current version. The boxes had a "sunken" style like an embedded LCD display. When the toolbars are locked, the visualization touches the left side of its parent toolbar. They were never correctly centered, but now it is more obvious. Some UI panels and splitters have a new option Border > Standard, which makes them look closer to the 1.3 version, but nothing like that for the toolbar boxes. I guess you have to roll with the times and accept the metro style.

Reply #3
Rollin, a pair of screenshots for comparison:
v1.3.x:
v1.4.x:

Reply #4
Don't know what you are talking about, guys. Maybe this is OS-dependent or UI-dependent? I use win7 and DUI.

Reply #5
VEG, in 1.4 it looks as in your screenshot if "Background" is disabled in File->Preferences->Display->Default user interface->Colors and Fonts

Reply #6
The visualization boxes indeed do not have borders since the interface was "flattened" for Windows 10 in the current version. The boxes had a "sunken" style like an embedded LCD display. When the toolbars are locked, the visualization touches the left side of its parent toolbar. They were never correctly centered, but now it is more obvious. Some UI panels and splitters have a new option Border > Standard, which makes them look closer to the 1.3 version, but nothing like that for the toolbar boxes. I guess you have to roll with the times and accept the metro style.

I've also noticed this change and personally would appreciate the option to re-enable borders for toolbar visualizations.

Reply #7
Don't know what you are talking about, guys. Maybe this is OS-dependent or UI-dependent? I use win7 and DUI.

The change is visible in these screenshots as well but the difference is you have a black visualization background which obscures the lack of inset bevel.

I personally don't have much of an opinion on it since in W8.1 the vis background was white already and the toolbar an off-white so it doesn't look much different in my case.

Reply #8
Rollin, it is noticeable on your screenshots also, especially here:

Reply #9
Seems to be a UI element change.

Reply #10
The screenshots posted by Rollin appear to be resampled, reducing the visibility of the effect, and adding new blended borders. But it is still there. The minor graphical flaw resulting from this flatness is that the bars are poorly defined where the gradient happens to randomly match the color/brightness of the window chrome - the first 25 percent of the level meter. A border is additional protection against this, why the transport icons look as they do, being white on white.

Reply #11
As I shown in mine with the bolded borders on my pitch/tempo UI elements.

That didn't exist before, they used to be perfectly flat. I have no programmatic control over said UI element displaying so its a core problem.

Reply #12
OK, the "new" way does look ugly on Windows 7 with default settings at least. Not offensive on 10, that's how it went unnoticed. It will be changed.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #13

It looks like this in the beta 21. Still a bit worse than in the v1.3.x, because background is indistinguishable from the left and bottom borders.

Reply #14

It looks like this in the beta 21. Still a bit worse than in the v1.3.x, because background is indistinguishable from the left and bottom borders.

Fwiw this is how it's always looked like on W8.1 for me on v1.3.x (with the white background). Someone said the 'Background' value in the 'Colors and Fonts' preference affects it though I've never changed the default.

Reply #15
it's always looked like on W8.1 for me on v1.3.x (with the white background)
I never used Win 8.1, but in Win 7 and in Win 10 background of visualizations in toolbar doesn't become white by itself.