Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adding Pre amp out to home reciever (Read 6921 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding Pre amp out to home reciever

Hi is there a part or something I can add to a existing old reciever to make it so it can have preamp out, without buying a new reciever?  Just curious if you can.  If you can convert coax to AV, there should be a way to make a preamp out, from off another part.

Thanks

Reply #1
Hi is there a part or something I can add to a existing old reciever to make it so it can have preamp out, without buying a new reciever?  Just curious if you can.  If you can convert coax to AV, there should be a way to make a preamp out, from off another part.

Thanks

Not without opening up the reciever and soldering components to the circutry inside.
Not easy, and perhaps not even possible.

Why are you wanting to do this?
Maybe there is a better way to achiver your goal.

Also converting coax - av = apples,
converting a  receiver without preouts - receiver with = oranges.

Reply #2
I was adding speakers to another room and its the same layout and I wanted to use the source from one location and do preamp out from one receiver as one volume to another.  I know I can Y things just was curious about a external way of adding preamp out.

Reply #3
You can do it. I have done it before. Just start with the amplifier module(s) and trace back the input signal to origin - which will be from the internal pre-amp section. After you find this, you have to cut/sever the circuit and bypass it, soldering in a cable to the input and output of the circuit and wiring/soldering them back to a couple pairs of RCA jacks on the back of the receiver. One will be input back to the amp module, so you can loop the pre-out back to the pre-in or simply use the unit as a stand alone amp.

Obviously, if you are not comfortable with opening up and modifying the circuitry, then this is not a practical modification.

The jack-leg no-mod method: just use the headphone output as a pre-amp signal. It will work fine, though being a rather sore eye piece with the cable plugged in front for all to see.

-Chris

Reply #4
The jack-leg no-mod method: just use the headphone output as a pre-amp signal. It will work fine, though being a rather sore eye piece with the cable plugged in front for all to see.

-Chris

...and sometimes the receiever mutes all other outputs when the headphone jack is engaged.