Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC compression setting: %s -o %d does what? (Read 5382 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC compression setting: %s -o %d does what?

I found this setting on the web, and wanted to know what the %s -o %d  does? That is the letter o, not a zero.

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=%e" %s -o %d

FYI I am using EAC.  I found the FLAC site, but I still couldn't decipher what %s -o %d does.  I am using this setting, and it does work, but I  want to understand exactly what it is doing, especially since I haven't seen the %s -o %d in anyone else's setting.  I have seen the %s %d without the -o.  All I know is that "I think"  it is talking about source file and destination file, but that doesn't explain a lot to me.  Are they referring to the wav and FLAC files, and if so, what is it doing with them? 

As you might have guessed I am new to music grabbers, EAC, FLAC etc, so any help would be appreciated.  Also, fyi, I have not been able to relocate the site I got the setting from.  I don't think it explained the part in question. 

Thanks, from a new member. 

-Johnny

Reply #1
they are placeholders

%s means source file
%d means destination file

the -o means output file name.

so if you were encoding the file called music.wav, the command line you posted would look like this

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=%e" music.wav -o music.flac
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
So what is %s -o %d actually accomplishing?  Is it needed?  I really don't understand if it is serving a  useful purpose or not.  As I said, most settings that I have seen posted on the web do not include this.  I have seen many that end in %s but only once did I see the ending of %s -o %d.

Thanks,
Johnny

Reply #3
yes they are needed. It's there so EAC knows where it should put the source file name and destination file name in the command line for flac. if they aren't there, when flac tries to encode the file it has no idea what the file to be encoded is called or the name of the destination file.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4
yes they are needed. It's there so EAC knows where it should put the source file name and destination file name in the command line for flac. if they aren't there, when flac tries to encode the file it has no idea what the file to be encoded is called or the name of the destination file.

Thanks for your reply, I was just trying to figure out what the two different endings are doing differently.
                              %s        VS.      %s -o %d

Thanks again,
Johnny

Reply #5
I was just trying to figure out what the two different endings are doing differently.
%s represents the source WAVE, and %d represents the destination FLAC.  So, with "%s" you specify the source only, and let FLAC automatically name the output ("<source>.wav" => "<source>.flac").  With "%s -o %d" you are specifying the source, and the destination filename: the "-o" switch tells FLAC that the next value is the desired output name.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
I was just trying to figure out what the two different endings are doing differently.
%s represents the source WAVE, and %d represents the destination FLAC.  So, with "%s" you specify the source only, and let FLAC automatically name the output ("<source>.wav" => "<source>.flac").  With "%s -o %d" you are specifying the source, and the destination filename: the "-o" switch tells FLAC that the next value is the desired output name.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain this to me.  I appreciate it!

Have a nice day!

-Johnny