Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Personal Listening Test of MP3 encoders at 224kbps (Read 42641 times) previous topic - next topic

Personal Listening Test of MP3 encoders at 224kbps

Reply #25
But as you can see they can be encoded transparently @224 kbps.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #26
It would help since Guruboolez's data is classical-centric, and, quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing his results get raised during discussions where they aren't a good fit.

After most of the week stuck with GPRS mobile internet at 20kbps, I've finally made the edit to the Wikipedia Codec listening test / Results section.

Feel free to edit, of course.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #27
I'm only familiar with some of the samples, but would you say that most of them contain hard transients? The "speech" and "vocal" samples don't but still are not transparent.

Kamedo, could you maybe elaborate a little on the problems you heard?

I tend to hear smearing effects in breathiness at 4-10kHz. We need to hear what we don't hear usually and it will need skill. The high frequency breath noise like 'hhhhhh...' collapses, and go unnatural.
If you don't hear those, please make your room as quiet as you can, and practice at lower bitrate.

Reply #28
I plotted bitrate vs quality distribution of those individual samples(25 samples per encoder).
LAME3.100 V2+ really is a cvbr behavior. No samples go below 210kbps.
LAME 3.98.4 CBR is a total CBR; bitrate barely changes and only quality differs.
Helix has more distribution to the lower bitrates but surprisingly keeps quality at these low bitrates.
And Helix has the most VBR-ish distribution; narrow quality distribution and wide bitrate fluctuation.