Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't want to live on this planet anymore... (Read 22772 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #100
...or exercise intellectual dishonesty from your ivory tower of statistics, confining your arguments to the specifics of a narrow topic while demonstrating a complete unwillingness to acknowledge any larger perspective.

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #102
Right in general I guess, I'm not a native English speaker so something might have gotten lost in translation but as you probably know any recorded audio the regular way will produce continuous periodic functions -of some sort- over a finite range, which can be converted through fourier analysis (fourier series) without loss of information, fourier transformed to some superposition of sine functions, which will then make a perfect reproduction of the original -recorded- audio, which is the basis for the proof of the N-S sampling theorem.

I believe there is some mythbusting to do long before the conversion of the digital signal. If one does believe the "staircase" misconception, then there is no reason to believe that the digital signal is faithful to the the recorded pre-ADC analogue signal anyway. Of course, the need for anti-aliasing filters is well understood among insiders/engineers/geeks, but I guess there are a lot of people who think that there must be an analogue filter (pre-sampling!) kicking in way below the Nyquist frequency. (Maybe it is optimistic to believe that "a lot of" people know that much, but those who are not even there and do not know whether or not the sampling theorem needs a bandpass restriction, do not know what the theorem says anyway ;) )

And then you got the "periodic" functions to approximate a finite-sample time period. Not much of an issue in practice (but it is not a priori given, as you do not know from the outset how many periods the ear needs to detect a treble tone).

And I suppose that people also go around thinking that every hundred Hz up there matters. That a 2 kHz interval is wide even at the top of the range.