Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: quality loss in converting to WAV? (Read 3574 times) previous topic - next topic

quality loss in converting to WAV?

i was just wondering if there was any loss in quality if i converted a wav to wav, or aac to wav, or mp2 to wav.
i'd be using audacity to edit wavs, aac, mp2, or mp3, and then exporting it as a wav as i know for sure that if you export it again as an aac, mp2, or mp3 you'd lose quality.
thanks in advance

Reply #1
As long as you don't change (down grade) parameters, like bit depth, the conversion has no effect.
"In the beginning was the Audiophile"

Reply #2
As long as you don't change (down grade) parameters, like bit depth, the conversion has no effect.

all i'd be doing is splitting one big wav, mp2, aac, or mp3 into seperate tracks using audacity and then exporting it right away.
or converting it without splitting with audacity. does either of those change the parameters? how can i check this myself?

Reply #3
The only thing worth mentioning with Audacity is the default bitwidth and its usage of dithering (See edit->preferences->quality). For your intended usage, use the same bitwidth than the original, and do not use dithering.

Btw, if you have a .cue file for those files, maybe an even easier way to split them would be to use foobar200, and its converter.