Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools: Exception - Access to Network Path Denied (Read 3190 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools: Exception - Access to Network Path Denied

SYSTEM
Windows 7
CUETools v2.1.5
EAC v1.1 (June 2015)
Standard Audio CD-ROM's (creation dates between 2009 and 2016)

BACKGROUND
I used EAC to rip the CD Audio to my hard drive. I then started using CUETools (and Foobar2000) a couple days ago to manipulate CD tracks and images with FLAC compression. I have been using my shared R: network path this whole time and was not having any problems with it. Suddenly, I started getting exception errors.

WORKAROUND
The Workaround I found was to move the FLACK image file and CUE file to the C: Drive. The tracks are generated successfully without error messages.

• UPDATE:
  • Now, suddenly only a few minutes after I first posted this thread, the workaround stopped working! Everything is on the C: Drive, but I am getting the same Path Error. "Access to [Output] path ... is denied"

CUETOOLS SETUP
The action I want to perform is to split the FLAC image into separate tracks.
Settings: Everything Default as Unzipped
Action: Encode
Mode: Tracks
Audio Output: Lossless > Flac > cuetools
The CUE file is in the same directory as the FLAC Image file.

ERROR MESSAGE
CUETools is generating the Error:
Exception: Access to the [Output] Path 'R:\any\path\CD tracks' is denied.

(Sometimes a different error was generated that said the path was invalid; and still another that there were invalid characters in the path. I do not know how to duplicate those errors.)

The path getting the error is the Output path only.

QUESTIONS
1. Can anyone explain why this suddenly stopped working on the network path [update: And NOW on the C: Drive!!] ? How to debug it? How to fix it?

2. I deleted CUETools files for v2.1.5 and unzipped v2.1.6 in their place. However, I noticed that the settings were not completely the default. For example, "Allow Multiple Instances" was checked and "Track Format" was "%title%" only without "%tracknumber%" in front of it. Where are these SETTINGS being stored? I looked for a file in AppData, but couldn't find it. Any Registry settings?

ALREADY TRIED
I already tried the following:
1. Deleted all CUETools program files. Downloaded fresh CUETools zip file (v2.1.5 AND v2.1.6) and unzipped to the C: Drive.
2. Rebooted computer.
3. All path names have no special characters. No Spaces, no ampersands (&). Only Letters, Numbers, and Underscores.
Still getting errors.

Re: CUETools: Exception - Access to Network Path Denied

Reply #1
In Win7 the settings file for CUETools is located \AppData\Roaming\CUE Tools\settings.txt unless you made CUETools portable by deleting the user_profiles_enabled file from the program folder then it is {program folder}\CUE Tools\settings.txt

I can duplicate the error message if I attempt to write files in the root C:\. Writing files directly in C:\ requires Administrators privileges but CUETools is running with Users privileges. The Users account CUETools is running under must have read/write/modify permissions for the path.
korth

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply. When I searched for the settings.txt file in %appdata%, I was looking for the string, "cuetools" (DOH  :-[ ) As you say, %appdata%\CUE Tools\ is the folder location. [Search Term: Where is the CUETools configuration file located]

RESOLVED
00. Note: Prior to resolving this issue, I switched to Foobar2000 and was able to generate tracks from my FLAC image file + Cue Sheet.
0. Rename the "settings.txt" file that was used when the errors were generated > "settings_ERROR.txt".
1. Close CUETools program (if it's running).
2. Rename "settings.txt"
3. Launch the CUETools program. This will generate a clean default "settings.txt" file.

Currently, Errors are NOT being generated when output is on EITHER my shared network drive OR the C: drive.

UNABLE TO REPRODUCE
I am currently unable to reproduce the conditions that caused the Exception Errors. I tried to reproduce the previous error by replacing the "settings.txt" file with the one that was present when the error message was generated earlier (make a copy and rename "settings_ERROR - copy.txt" > "settings.txt", etc.) However, the CUETools output is currently being generated without error.

NOTE
In the same folder as "settings.txt", there is a file called, "LocalDB.xml.z". Not sure if this has anything to do with why the error was generated. (Neither 7-Zip nor RAR seem to be able to open this file on my Windows 7 system.)

1. SETTINGS.TXT
(File that was used yesterday, when Errors were generated)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2: SETTINGS.TXT
(Currently being used, today. This shows only the DIFF's due to HA.io forum posting limits on max. number of characters)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #3
The original developer called it CUE Tools. The settings location didn't change.

'LocalDB.xml.z' is the 'local database'. You can view the database by exploring the 'Input: Folder Browser' or 'Input: Multiselect Browser' window near the bottom.
korth