Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Diskwriting/Transcoding (Read 3656 times) previous topic - next topic

Diskwriting/Transcoding

I'm attempting to fill my 60GB iPod with my 11,000 odd files. It is currently completely empty. To avoid putting all of my files which are currently housed on an external harddisk through my computer (which would transcode them down to a smaller size so they would fit) and then onto my iPod (a process that would entail a few days), I would rather use fb2k's diskwriter to transcode all of the files onto my internal harddisk and skip the first process. I need to do this while maintaining the same order that I have on my external harddrive, I can't just have the files in some massive folder. How would I set this up so that I can then use the transcoded files in the exact same manner as my originals? I assume this has something to do with how I set up the output file name formatting, what should I put in this box? Thanks for any help, I'm using v0.8.3.

[edit] Actually, I can have the files in some massive folder as long as they will organize themselves automatically when I go to put them on my iPod. I'm not sure how the iPod works, would it organize the files by ID3 tag? Because in that case it would fine to have all of the files in one massive folder.

Diskwriting/Transcoding

Reply #1
The iPod does not use directory structure, filenames or
tags for organisation, it reads this info from a database which is created by the application used to load music onto the iPod, in this case foo_pod. If foobar can read your files' tags, this info will be used to create the database, so having them all on one folder won't hurt. However be sure to use %_diskwriter_index% somewhere in the filename to avoid having files with the same name.

Edit: If it was my iPod, I would want to encode the files onto my computer's harddrive first, then connect the iPod and copy them across. Transcoding straight to the iPod would keep its harddrive either spinning, or constantly spinning up and down for days, which would not be good for it.

Diskwriting/Transcoding

Reply #2
The iPod does not use directory structure, filenames or
tags for organisation, it reads this info from a database which is created by the application used to load music onto the iPod, in this case foo_pod. If foobar can read your files' tags, this info will be used to create the database, so having them all on one folder won't hurt. However be sure to use %_diskwriter_index% somewhere in the filename to avoid having files with the same name.

Edit: If it was my iPod, I would want to encode the files onto my computer's harddrive first, then connect the iPod and copy them across. Transcoding straight to the iPod would keep its harddrive either spinning, or constantly spinning up and down for days, which would not be good for it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I figured it out last night with a few trial runs. And I decided to do it the way that your edit describes.