Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS .wav files play static in mpc! please help! (Read 7295 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS .wav files play static in mpc! please help!

Hello chaps,

With MPC + ffdshow, .wav dts files play static. Ive tried messing with all the options that look relevant and nothing. Please help!

Reply #1
Hello chaps,

With MPC + ffdshow, .wav dts files play static. Ive tried messing with all the options that look relevant and nothing. Please help!

What you could do:

a) rename files to .dts
b) hardcode way  if a) didn't help, take hex editor (http://mh-nexus.de/en/ for example) and delete first 44 byes (2C in hex) from the beginning of the file to get rid of the RIFF header and rename resulting file to .dts
c) try different player

Reply #2
a) didnt work...and I dont think b) did either. I selected and deleted the first 44 bytes with a .wav, changed it to .dts and it said 'could not render file'. Now what! I have also tried foobar and winamp with no luck. These files worked on my old comp, I remember I used to have this problem but some friend messed around in the ffdshow options and got it to work. But we dont speak anymore so im all on my own!

Reply #3
Do you want to decode in the PC into 5.1 channels, or do you want to decode in your receiver? What OS do you have, and what audio device are you using?

If you wanna decode in the PC, there's an option in ffdshow that says "check for DTS in WAV" when you select the DTS codec in the codecs window. I haven't tested it though, I bitstream them.

If you want to bitstream into your receiver to be decoded there, you need to make sure that you have a bit-perfect path from the player/decoder to the receiver, in XP I think you can max out the volume sliders, and set output to 16-bit/44.1 kHz stereo. For Vista/Win7 you have to use WASAPI exclusive mode.