Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FDK AAC vs Opus (Read 16007 times) previous topic - next topic

FDK AAC vs Opus

Accoring to a recent HA test, Opus has beaten all other codecs at 64Kbit, however I've got very different results. I don't know how it's possible but I've just compared Opus 1.0.3 vs Fraunhofer Aac encoder at 64Kb and 48Kb, and Fraunhofer won by a huge margin.

With Fraunhofer I don't hear any discernible audio distortions at 64Kbit and minor disturbances at 48Kbit whereas with Opus the resulting audio has a very low quality. As a test I compressed some pop music songs (relatively simple audio).

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i source.wav -c:audio libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -ab 48k output.m4a (or aac_he_v1)

For opus I've used:

-c:a libopus -b:a 64k (or 48k)

Components versions:

ffmpeg version 2.1
fdk-aac-0.1.2
opus-1.0.3

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #1
Did you perform a (double) blind test?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #2
No, I haven't, the differences in the output can be easily heard.

To give you an example, AAC at 64Kbit sounds more or less like CD audio, Opus at the same bitrate sounds like MP3 at 80Kbit/sec.

Again, maybe Opus 1.1 has improved in regard to low bitrates, but I tested 1.0.3 release.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #3
AAC at 64Kbit sounds more or less like CD audio, Opus at the same bitrate sounds like MP3 at 80Kbit/sec.
And MP3 at 80kbps does not "sound more or less like CD audio"? That's why anecdotes are not useful and we prefer blind tests. Do you mind posting your samples, the original file and your encodes, so that we have a common ground for discussion? Maybe both encodes have artifacts, but you tend to prefer the AAC ones, but most other users don't.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #4
You might also want to try out opus-tools instead of libopus in ffmpeg. It might not be using 20ms frames in ffmpeg.

I also briefly tested (with some 1.1 alpha/beta version) @64Kbps a while back and to me each song I tried Opus sounded slightly less annoying than fdk-aac.
@48Kbps fdk-aac sounded better. I don't have any ABX results.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #5
birdie, I too believe AAC is better than Opus but I didn't test and prove it so I won't post anything in regard. All the test that hundreds of people have done say the contrary.

Second, why do you want to test an old version of the codec? Go test 1.1, post one or few logs and tell where you notice the difference if you want people to take you seriously.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #6
You might also want to try out opus-tools instead of libopus in ffmpeg. It might not be using 20ms frames in ffmpeg.

Indeed, ffmpeg uses 10 ms frames for Opus. We do not know why they're doing this, but it's sub-optimal. You can get higher quality with 20 ms frames.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #7
Indeed, ffmpeg uses 10 ms frames for Opus. We do not know why they're doing this, but it's sub-optimal. You can get higher quality with 20 ms frames.

Is there already a bug logged for this at ffmpeg? I'm struggling to find anything on the ffmpeg bug list.

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #8

Is there already a bug logged for this at ffmpeg? I'm struggling to find anything on the ffmpeg bug list.

I tested latest ffmpeg from git  compilied with libopus v1.1-rc.  It uses 20ms frames:
D:\>ffmpeg.exe -i test.wav -c opus test.opus
D:\>opusinfo.exe test.opus
Processing file "test.opus"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: f68e8976): type opus
Encoded with Lavf55.21.102
User comments section follows...
        encoder=Lavf55.21.102
Opus stream 1:
        Pre-skip: 312
        Playback gain: 0 dB
        Channels: 2
        Original sample rate: 48000Hz
        Packet duration:   20.0ms (max),   20.0ms (avg),   20.0ms (min)
        Page duration:   1000.0ms (max),  997.1ms (avg),  120.0ms (min)
        Total data length: 3778579 bytes (overhead: 0.728%)
        Playback length: 5m:06.102s
        Average bitrate: 98.75 kb/s, w/o overhead: 98.03 kb/s
Logical stream 1 ended

FDK AAC vs Opus

Reply #9
I tested latest ffmpeg from git builded with libopus v1.1-rc. It uses 20ms frames...

Awesome