Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Load time question (Read 4265 times) previous topic - next topic

Load time question

Foobar takes forever to open up for me. It probably takes about 5 minutes, but thats a total guess. I have to open it and go do something else while its opening.

Based on my specs (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram) and the amount of music I have (67,070 tracks), does this seem normal? By the way I'm running 0.9.3.

I while back added about an extra 120,000 tracks (old console music) to my database and the program took a year to load, so I filtered the filenames out and eventually removed them. I have a feeling that the program loaded extremely fast before I added all that crap. I'm wondering if it's worth deleting the database file and starting over again to see if that's the problem, or maybe that's just how long it takes to load foobar with 67,000 tracks in the db.

Load time question

Reply #1
No, this is not normal. I have a startup time of a second, on an intel p3/500 with also 60000 tracks. I've had problems with foo_uie_explorer (its startup options, 'do nothing' is least time consumning), but that was a matter of 1 vs. 5 seconds.

Maybe you remove components one by one, on a copy of fb2k.

Load time question

Reply #2
That's really good to know. I dont have much installed. I know when I'm working with the layout in columns_ui and the album list panel exists, clicking the apply button takes a lot longer. There's a big delay with closing the program too. Can't really tell unless I remove some plugins I guess.

How big is your database? Mine is 28mb exactly.

Load time question

Reply #3
Can't tell you today, as I'm not at home and I can't even guess how big it is.

Load time question

Reply #4
Ok good so you are using the database. In 0.8.x I could never use the database feature because the program took forever to open, then the new one came out and it was lightning fast with the database, now I dont know what's up....

From the console:
Startup time : 5:49.028659

Update: I found the source of the problem very quickly. I did an install to another directory (starts up in 0:04.135480), then added the foo_autoplaylist plugin and well, it's been loading ever since. Makes a bit of sense since one of many of my queries looks like this:

Code: [Select]
%artist% IS "From Monument to Masses" OR %artist% IS "M83" OR %artist% IS "My Education" OR %artist% IS "Tarantula AD" OR %artist% IS "1 Mile North" OR %artist% IS "1-Speed Bike" OR %artist% IS "2 By Bukowski" OR %artist% IS "33.3" OR %artist% IS "4 glasses of tap water" OR %artist% IS "52 Commercial Road" OR %artist% IS "65daysofstatic" OR %artist% IS "8mm Sky" OR %artist% IS "90 Day Men" OR %artist% IS ".tape." OR %artist% IS "A Minor Forest" OR %artist% IS "A Northern Chorus" OR %artist% IS "A Silver Mt. Zion" OR %artist% IS "Acetate Zero" OR %artist% IS "Add N to" OR %artist% IS "Adiós, Junio" OR %artist% IS "Aether" OR %artist% IS "Afformance" OR %artist% IS "Ahleuchatistas" OR %artist% IS "Akira" OR %artist% IS "The Album Leaf" OR %artist% IS "All Angels Gone" OR %artist% IS "A.M." OR %artist% IS "Amador" OR %artist% IS "Amiina" OR %artist% IS "Amundsen" OR %artist% IS "Ana Never" OR %artist% IS "Anoice" OR %artist% IS "Antarcticans" OR %artist% IS "Aphasia" OR %artist% IS "Apostle of Hustle" OR %artist% IS "Après" OR %artist% IS "Apse" OR %artist% IS "Arca" OR %artist% IS "Arrive Alive" OR %artist% IS "...as the Poets affirm" OR %artist% IS "Au4" OR %artist% IS "Audrey" OR %artist% IS "Austin TV" OR %artist% IS "Bark Psychosis" OR %artist% IS "Battles" OR %artist% IS "Because of Ghosts" OR %artist% IS "Bell Orchestre" OR %artist% IS "Below The Sea" OR %artist% IS "Beyond this point are Monsters" OR %artist% IS "Black Ox Orkestar" OR %artist% IS "Blanched" OR %artist% IS "Blueneck" OR %artist% IS "Bossk" OR %artist% IS "Boxhead Ensemble" OR %artist% IS "Boy in Static" OR %artist% IS "Brass Knuckle Surfer" OR %artist% IS "Brice-Glace" OR %artist% IS "Bright Red Paper" OR %artist% IS "Brokeback" OR %artist% IS "Broken Social Scene" OR %artist% IS "By The End of Tonight" OR %artist% IS "Caspian" OR %artist% IS "the Cathode Ray Syndrome" OR %artist% IS "Cats and Cats and Cats" OR %artist% IS "Cheval de frise" OR %artist% IS "Chicago Underground Duo" OR %artist% IS "The Cinematic Orchestra" OR %artist% IS "City of Caterpillar" OR %artist% IS "Collections of Colonies of Bees" OR %artist% IS "Corleone" OR %artist% IS "Couch" OR %artist% IS "Could've Moved Mountains" OR %artist% IS "Cries Into Fires" OR %artist% IS "Cul de Sac" OR %artist% IS "Damn Dirty Apes" OR %artist% IS "Day For Airstrikes" OR %artist% IS "De portables" OR %artist% IS "De Trop" OR %artist% IS "Del Rey" OR %artist% IS "Der goldene Schnitt" OR %artist% IS "Destroyalldreamers" OR %artist% IS "Detwiije" OR %artist% IS "Dianogah" OR %artist% IS "Disco Inferno" OR %artist% IS "Dirty Three" OR %artist% IS "Do Make Say Think" OR %artist% IS "Don Caballero" OR %artist% IS "Dont Look Back" OR %artist% IS "The Dragon Rapide" OR %artist% IS "Dreamend" OR %artist% IS "Drums and Tuba" OR %artist% IS "The Edmund Fitzgerald" OR %artist% IS "Ef" OR %artist% IS "Efterklang" OR %artist% IS "El Camino" OR %artist% IS "El Ten Eleven" OR %artist% IS "Electrelane" OR %artist% IS "Ellis the Vacuumchild" OR %artist% IS "Elf Fatima" OR %artist% IS "Eluvium" OR %artist% IS "en Filora" OR %artist% IS "Escape The Day" OR %artist% IS "Esmerine" OR %artist% IS "Estupendo" OR %artist% IS "The Evpatoria Report" OR %artist% IS "Explosions in the Sky" OR %artist% IS "Fight Fire with Water" OR %artist% IS "Fly Pan Am" OR %artist% IS "Flying Saucer Attack" OR %artist% IS "Fonoda" OR %artist% IS "The For Carnation" OR %artist% IS "Foxhole" OR %artist% IS "French Teen Idol" OR %artist% IS "Friends in the Mountains" OR %artist% IS "Friends of Dean Martinez" OR %artist% IS "Fridge" OR %artist% IS "From The Sky" OR %artist% IS "Gardenbox" OR %artist% IS "Gastr del Sol" OR %artist% IS "Geezer Lake" OR %artist% IS "Ghosts" OR %artist% IS "Giardini di Mirò" OR %artist% IS "Gifts From Enola" OR %artist% IS "God is an Astronaut" OR %artist% IS "Godspeed You!  Black Emperor" OR %artist% IS "Grace Cathedral Park" OR %artist% IS "Grace Latecomer" OR %artist% IS "Gregor Samsa" OR %artist% IS "Hammock" OR %artist% IS "Hangedup" OR %artist% IS "Hej, Poni! " OR %artist% IS "Hidden In Buildings" OR %artist% IS "High Dependency Unit" OR %artist% IS "Hood" OR %artist% IS "hotel, hotel" OR %artist% IS "Hrsta" OR %artist% IS "Hydrogen Party" OR %artist% IS "The Hylozoists" OR %artist% IS "iLiKETRAiNS" OR %artist% IS "Indotdat" OR %artist% IS "Inner Surge" OR %artist% IS "Interrobang" OR %artist% IS "iREPRESS" OR %artist% IS "Isis" OR %artist% IS "Isotope 217" OR %artist% IS "Item" OR %artist% IS "Jackie-O Motherfucker" OR %artist% IS "Jakob" OR %artist% IS "Japancakes" OR %artist% IS "Japandi" OR %artist% IS "Jeniferever" OR %artist% IS "Jet Black Crayon" OR %artist% IS "Joy Wants Eternity" OR %artist% IS "Jullander" OR %artist% IS "June of 44" OR %artist% IS "Karate" OR %artist% IS "Katana" OR %artist% IS "Kayo Dot" OR %artist% IS "K.C. Accidental" OR %artist% IS "Kill Hannah" OR %artist% IS "Kill the zodiac" OR %artist% IS "Kimtak Building" OR %artist% IS "Kunek" OR %artist% IS "Labradford" OR %artist% IS "Laeto" OR %artist% IS "Lanterna" OR %artist% IS "Laura" OR %artist% IS "Last Vote" OR %artist% IS "Lenøre" OR %artist% IS "Library Tapes" OR %artist% IS "Lift To Experience" OR %artist% IS "Ligeti" OR %artist% IS "Loss of a Child" OR %artist% IS "Lullatone" OR %artist% IS "Lumen" OR %artist% IS "Magyar Posse" OR %artist% IS "Malduit" OR %artist% IS "Martian Death Lyric" OR %artist% IS "Maserati" OR %artist% IS "Maybeshewill" OR %artist% IS "Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia..." OR %artist% IS "The Mercury Program" OR %artist% IS "Message To Bears" OR %artist% IS "Migala" OR %artist% IS "Milhaven" OR %artist% IS "Nipples" OR %artist% IS "Mogwai" OR %artist% IS "Moly" OR %artist% IS "Mon" OR %artist% IS "Mono" OR %artist% IS "Monopot" OR %artist% IS "The monroe transfer" OR %artist% IS "Mortimur" OR %artist% IS "Motionless" OR %artist% IS "Moving Mountains" OR %artist% IS "Mountain Men Anonymous" OR %artist% IS "Múm" OR %artist% IS "Murder By Death" OR %artist% IS "The New" OR %artist% IS "No Dyxon Face" OR %artist% IS "Northvia" OR %artist% IS "Now Is Not The Time To Panic" OR %artist% IS "Occasion" OR %artist% IS "Ocelot" OR %artist% IS "The Octopus Project" OR %artist% IS "The Oktober People" OR %artist% IS "On!  Air!  Library! " OR %artist% IS "Os Telepatas" OR %artist% IS "Ostinato" OR %artist% IS "Our Last Hope Lost Hope" OR %artist% IS "[Part Rocket]" OR %artist% IS "Pele" OR %artist% IS "Pelican" OR %artist% IS "pg.lost" OR %artist% IS "Piano Magic" OR %artist% IS "Pillow" OR %artist% IS "Pit Er Pat" OR %artist% IS "Port Elizabeth" OR %artist% IS "Port-Royal" OR %artist% IS "Pram" OR %artist% IS "Precious Fathers" OR %artist% IS "Purr" OR %artist% IS "Quack Quack" OR %artist% IS "Québec" OR %artist% IS "Rachel's" OR %artist% IS "Radarmaker" OR %artist% IS "Red Sparowes" OR %artist% IS "Rodan" OR %artist% IS "Room 204" OR %artist% IS "Rothko" OR %artist% IS "Rumah Sakit" OR %artist% IS "Russian Circles" OR %artist% IS "Sakareller" OR %artist% IS "Salvatore" OR %artist% IS "The Samuel Jackson Five" OR %artist% IS "Saso" OR %artist% IS "Saxon Shore" OR %artist% IS "Scene Index" OR %artist% IS "Scraps of Tape" OR %artist% IS "The Sea and Cake" OR %artist% IS "The Sea, Like Lead" OR %artist% IS "Season" OR %artist% IS "Seefeel" OR %artist% IS "Seidenmatt" OR %artist% IS "Selfkill" OR %artist% IS "September Malevolance" OR %artist% IS "Set Fire to Flames" OR %artist% IS "The Seven Mile Journey" OR %artist% IS "Shalabi Effect" OR %artist% IS "The Sheep Fiends" OR %artist% IS "Shipping News" OR %artist% IS "Sickoakes" OR %artist% IS "Sigur Rós" OR %artist% IS "Sigur Ros" OR %artist% IS "Silence Kit" OR %artist% IS "Silo" OR %artist% IS "The Six Parts Seven" OR %artist% IS "Slint" OR %artist% IS "Solomon: As Pilot" OR %artist% IS "Sound of Seventy Three" OR %artist% IS "Souvaris" OR %artist% IS "Sparrows, Swarm and Sing! " OR %artist% IS "Spokane" OR %artist% IS "Stars of the Lid" OR %artist% IS "Stars Like Fleas" OR %artist% IS "Steganography" OR %artist% IS "Stereolab" OR %artist% IS "Subtract By Two" OR %artist% IS "Sugar Plum Ferry" OR %artist% IS "Sweek" OR %artist% IS "Sweep the Leg Johnny" OR %artist% IS "Swimming With Ghosts" OR %artist% IS "Symmetry" OR %artist% IS "The Swords Project" OR %artist% IS "Talk Talk" OR %artist% IS "Talkdemonic" OR %artist% IS "Tarentel" OR %artist% IS "Te'" OR %artist% IS "The Technoillogical Myopia" OR %artist% IS "Tena Novak" OR %artist% IS "Tenia" OR %artist% IS "Tin Pan Alley" OR %artist% IS "This is a Process of a Still Life" OR %artist% IS "This is Your Captain Speaking" OR %artist% IS "This Sea Reflects Stars" OR %artist% IS "This Will Destroy You" OR %artist% IS "The Timeout Drawer" OR %artist% IS "Theta Naught" OR %artist% IS "Time.Space.Repeat." OR %artist% IS "Timonium" OR %artist% IS "Tired Irie" OR %artist% IS "To a God Unknown" OR %artist% IS "Toe" OR %artist% IS "Tomàn" OR %artist% IS "Tomcat Combat" OR %artist% IS "Tommy Guerrero" OR %artist% IS "Tortoise" OR %artist% IS "Tracer AMC" OR %artist% IS "Trans Am" OR %artist% IS "Travesti" OR %artist% IS "Tristeza" OR %artist% IS "Tuatara" OR %artist% IS "Tuna Laguna" OR %artist% IS "Turing Machine" OR %artist% IS "Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start" OR %artist% IS "Una Corda" OR %artist% IS "Unhome" OR %artist% IS "Unwed Sailor" OR %artist% IS "Valley of the Giants" OR %artist% IS "Vehicle" OR %artist% IS "Verticals" OR %artist% IS "Vidavox" OR %artist% IS "The War Upstairs" OR %artist% IS "We vs. Death" OR %artist% IS "What the Blood Revealed" OR %artist% IS "Wind-Up Bird" OR %artist% IS "The Window Room" OR %artist% IS "Windsor For the Derby" OR %artist% IS "Wood and Wires" OR %artist% IS "The Workhouse" OR %artist% IS "Wonderland Falling Yesterday" OR %artist% IS "World's End Girlfriend" OR %artist% IS "Xiu Xiu" OR %artist% IS "yndi halda" OR %artist% IS "Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson" OR %artist% IS "Zelienople" OR %artist% IS "Zoppo"

lol.

Load time question

Reply #5
While I see some ways to improve the performance with queries like this, I don't think it's worth to implement them as queries with 328 IS clauses aren't a common case.

Load time question

Reply #6
These types of queries are my favorite feature of the whole program. I take a list from wikipedia or allmusic.com of artists that fall under a certain style that I am a big fan of and query all of them. That way I can make a playlist for post-rock music without requiring every song to be labelled as post-rock. This is the coolest and easiest way to discover new music, only if you have a ton of music of course.

Load time question

Reply #7
Just a suggestion but you could use those huge queries in a browser panel, then mark all the results and apply a %genre% tag.

It's not the same thing that you have now, but this approach would only require the resources when you initially run the query instead of every time foobar loads.

Load time question

Reply #8
Just a suggestion but you could use those huge queries in a browser panel, then mark all the results and apply a %genre% tag.

It's not the same thing that you have now, but this approach would only require the resources when you initially run the query instead of every time foobar loads.

Or you can go Library->QuickPlaylist->ridiculously long query.

I think you may need one of foosion's utility plugins for this, but I'm not sure.

Load time question

Reply #9
Can't edit the genre tags on ALL albums, otherwise it ruins the ability to use .sfv files to check them.

Load time question

Reply #11
I don't like ruining my precious group released albums... I think I can handle the long loading time.

Load time question

Reply #13
Oh... hmm... that would work except I like the idea of looking at one of my playlists and noticing there's something new there that I've recently downloaded and didnt know they fell into that category. (I download a LOT of stuff that I have no clue what it sounds like) ... Still, it's a good idea though, I might try it if it starts to really really annoy me.

Load time question

Reply #14
Why do you need to preserve them in scene format? I find that scene tags are often wrong or inconsistant anyway. And VBR MP3 encoded by an old version of LAME isnt the greatest for archiving music.

(I download a LOT of stuff that I have no clue what it sounds like)

Besides, isn't downloading copyright music illegal anyway?

Load time question

Reply #15
david_dl, yes, you are right, scene releses quite often have messed-up tags. but - people who value scene releases among each other have to deal with it. i know my life would be much easier if i wouldn't insist on keeping them the way they have been released ...

Load time question

Reply #16
My shutdown time is about the same as my startup time.. 5 minutes I think. I haven't tested to see if thats the autoplaylist plugin though.