Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decoder (Read 5429 times) previous topic - next topic

Decoder

I'm using the in_faad.dll from http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ to play my aac files in winamp. This for some reason causes winamp 2.80 to crash quite often. Does anyone know of a newer build or different input plugin for winamp? Thanks...

Decoder

Reply #1
Are you ripping and encoding your AACs with EAC + AACenc?

Any error messages?

Decoder

Reply #2
I am ripping CDs to wav then using aacenc 2.15 to encode. The problem is that I often get "Winamp caused an error in kernel32.dll" or something like that when I close winamp or open a new song (only AAC), after that things get unstable. My OS is Win ME. Thanks.

Decoder

Reply #3
If you want to PM or mail me with your mail address, I can send you the latest in_faad.dll that I use. This was compiled under WinME. This is actually an ICL 6.0 compile, but it works fine for me.

john33

Decoder

Reply #4
hum... just a (stupid) question : what is I.C.L ???

Decoder

Reply #6
Originally posted by harashin
ICL is a binary name of Intel C++ Compiler.

That is the C++ Compiler that generates the fastest code, FYI.

Decoder

Reply #7
I don't want to sound stupid or off-topic...

I compile code for the game Quake II, and was told from a few places that you need to use MSVC 6.  Would I be better off using ICL?  I think MSVC was recommended because it's one of the few compilers which will actually build alot of the code successfully!
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Decoder

Reply #8
In my experience, although the ICL compiler often produces faster code, depending on the optimisations used, it's also quite easy to compile code that causes problems in some environments. You are probably safer staying with VC6, or VC7 if you have it can generate slightly faster code than VC6.

Decoder

Reply #9
The ICL compiler includes built in functions that uses the intel MMX and SIMD instruction sets, which is not found in VC-6 compiler.
Certain DSP routines, especially those that uses 8 bits data, could sometimes be speed up a few hundred times when the MMX instructions are invoked.
The compiler actually allows coding be done completely in C programming environment or otherwise, you need to code in assembly language level in order to access the MMX and SIMD instructions set.
I am not very sure if there is much performance advantage, if those special functions are not used..

wkw