Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best OPUS settings?? (Read 8089 times) previous topic - next topic

Best OPUS settings??

Hi.
I'm planning on converting my FLACs into opus (instead of legacy mp3s). Unfortunately, i haven't found any guide on how to do it properly. I'm talking about encoder's settings. I use Linux and for conversion i'll use freac. With this piece of software, I can customize several settings.

Those are my options. What should i tweak in there if i'm planning on converting lossless files to opus with ~320 bitrate?
Thanks for your help.

MOD edit: remove img site advert link

Re: Best OPUS settings??

Reply #1
Why do it at all, do you have too little disk space?
Opus is a bit complicated to encode in a way to minimize damage, because of the way it handles track boundaries. If your music files are running non-stop (like The Dark Side of the Moon, for example), then it's safer to glue the tracks together before encoding to Opus.
Regarding the settings, however, there's nothing really interesting, it's fine to use the defaults and just choose a quality level depending on your needs.
320 kbps is probably overkill btw. There's hardly any audible difference after you go above 128 with Opus.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
Thanks for your replay.
Before the war happened, I used to listen to Spotify, while traveling from one region to the other. But now, in the area where I live, let's say here mobile internet is not so stable anymore, and the speed can sometimes give you a headache. So I carry a relatively small netbook with a selection of albums and audiobooks. I listen to it in the car. I've used OPUS before, but I've always had a lot of questions about it, like:
- In the bandwidth sections should I choose auto or fullband? (still a mystery to me)
- Should I stick with almost constrained cbr or plain vbr? (now I know, that vbr is better)

Etc.

I came here, because I couldn't find any decent guide on how to convert flacs properly. With MP3 you'll see a lot of guides on how to get the most of it with the least afford. And with opus it is not like that, unfortunately.

Reply #3
Honestly, changing the bitrate to 128 kbps and leaving the other settings as they are should be good enough.

Reply #4
Opus is a bit complicated to encode in a way to minimize damage, because of the way it handles track boundaries. If your music files are running non-stop (like The Dark Side of the Moon, for example), then it's safer to glue the tracks together before encoding to Opus.
Is this Opus flaw due to the mandatory resampling to 48kHz, or is it caused by something else?

Reply #5
AFAIK, it's caused by mandatory highpass filter (that's right, Opus has it, unlike any other lossy codec), but I didn't do enough detailed testing to conclude that with certainty.

Reply #7
Why do you want use opus? I know that it is ideal for live streaming or only streaming because it has robust algorithm for "correct" lost packages. I suggest read this information and with an ABX test what is the best for you, because it is a subjective.

If you want use opus by free source or by open source ideology. I suggest Vorbis, because any Android with Google Play can play it without gaps. For me pre echo make it sound better.

The weak point of any lossy audio algorithm are trebles by percussion. I use cymbals for my personal ABX tests.

Also you can read here why isn't recommend use lossy audio files where is titled as "Other Test Cases".

The unique lossy codec I know that don't has those problems is WavPack. But I test it at very high kbps and for this store space I prefer use FLAC with the highest compression or Ape codec.

Reply #8
Why you asking?
then it's safer to glue the tracks together before encoding to Opus.
reason?
1. why you asking?
2. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,116605.msg962378.html

Reply #9
1. I was first.
2. awful

Reply #10
If you really have to 'glue' files use vorbis or even mp3. 
Try Vorbis Q6  or Q7 first.    For 320;  Q9

Reply #11
1. I was first.
OK. it's obviously an irreversible operation, and given p.2, might cause audible glitches sometimes, also it takes time and effort, so I was wondering if there's an option to simply not do it at all. sometimes it can be possible if the total size of files is still manageable.

Reply #12
I tested opus gapless on one album;
Tuonela by Amorphis, YR 1999
Player : FB2k Windows

3 gapless tracks
Result: OK

Reply #14
I tested opus gapless on one album;
Tuonela by Amorphis, YR 1999
Player : FB2k Windows

3 gapless tracks
Result: OK
I have converted a custom-made Eurobeat mix out of 18 tracks into Opus and also didn't experience problems with any one of them (comparing to, sadly, Helix MP3 - I think it's the only coder that gave me gaps).
Opus VBR 256 + SoX

Reply #15
The weak point of any lossy audio algorithm are trebles by percussion. I use cymbals for my personal ABX tests.
Absolutely, and sadly I have experienced this problem with Opus 192 kbps on tracks like in Metallica - Load album. Which was disappointing because the codec was transparent otherwise.
Opus VBR 256 + SoX

Reply #16

Mobile devices are still storage space limited, esp. models that don't even have an sd card option.

Opus is a bit complicated to encode in a way to minimize damage, because of the way it handles track boundaries. I

Could you please elaborate, or link to some explanation? At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how merging opus files works (spoiler alert: it doesn't do was well as mp3): https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,124084.0.html