Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Steinberg UR-22 problems (Read 9310 times) previous topic - next topic

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Hey guys, ever since I bought the UR-22 my audio and video have been lagging every 20 seconds or so ( listening to music or just watching movies ). Iv tried reformating, iv tried updating my BIOS, i'v tried defraging my HD, iv tried windows repair tools... iv tried playing with the KHZ and latency of my card but no luck...

I unplugged my sound card UR-22 yesterday and played music and video and the lag was gone... I bought this sound card 3 months ago brand new and I had a presonus firebox for 5 years until it broke recently..

I guess i'll call the store tomorrow cuz it seems like the card is defective, but while im waiting what are peoples thoughts on this? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #1
I think it's a driver problem.  Maybe there's some kind of driver conflict on your system.  You may be able to get some help from Steinberg support.

I have to assume most users don't experience this.    So, I don't think it's "defective" but it may not work for you in your system.    If you take it back, I'd suggest getting something different from a different manufacturer rather than exchanging it for the same thing.

On one hand you want your audio interface to "hog" the CPU & system resources so you don't get glitches during recording and if the audio is "taking over" your system.    Maybe that's the trick that allows ASIO drivers to get lower latency....    That could cause glitches in the video (or other real-time applications) but the audio should be OK (assuming the audio is going through the Steinberg interface).    But, usually it's the other way around and other things (such as video or other multitasking) mess-up the audio recording.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #2
I think it's a driver problem.  Maybe there's some kind of driver conflict on your system.  You may be able to get some help from Steinberg support.

I have to assume most users don't experience this.    So, I don't think it's "defective" but it may not work for you in your system.    If you take it back, I'd suggest getting something different from a different manufacturer rather than exchanging it for the same thing.

On one hand you want your audio interface to "hog" the CPU & system resources so you don't get glitches during recording and if the audio is "taking over" your system.    Maybe that's the trick that allows ASIO drivers to get lower latency....    That could cause glitches in the video (or other real-time applications) but the audio should be OK (assuming the audio is going through the Steinberg interface).    But, usually it's the other way around and other things (such as video or other multitasking) mess-up the audio recording.

Yeah, Just playing a song in itunes for example lags every 20 seconds, and playing a video in vlc or windows media player or whatever, the video and audio together lag every 20 seconds.

Also while using my DAW, the sound will lag every 20 seconds.

So you're saying maybe the driver has a problem with my system? Like the hardware in my system or my operating system?

Cuz i have reformated numerous times with the same problem occuring.

Thanks

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #4
bennetng++

It can be a hardware issue but before RMA, check if the device gets enough power (device manager: USB device properties :power usage info) and that you're not connected it through hub.

Which WinVer and Steinberg USB driver version you have there (bundled/latest update) -> did you check the release note document?

Are you using ASIO on DAW?

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #5
So you're saying maybe the driver has a problem with my system? Like the hardware in my system or my operating system?
I was thinking it's the Steinberg driver.  But, LatencyMon should answer that with more certainty.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #6
Do you have some other USB devices connected, like network cards?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #7
If you take it back, I'd suggest getting something different from a different manufacturer rather than exchanging it for the same thing.

Agree.
If the OP wish to find the culprit, try LatencyMon:
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

LatencyMon tells me..

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearings as drop outs, clicks or pop. One problem may be related to power management, disablr CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

As I said i already updated my BIOS... but I dont understand how to disable cpu throttling in control panels and bios setup.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #8
Do you have some other USB devices connected, like network cards?

I have an external hard drive connected.

Yes I have a network card in my PCI slot that I don't use.

I have a usb wifi card.

I have  a wireless usb keyboard

Wireless usb mouse.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #9
bennetng++

It can be a hardware issue but before RMA, check if the device gets enough power (device manager: USB device properties :power usage info) and that you're not connected it through hub.

Which WinVer and Steinberg USB driver version you have there (bundled/latest update) -> did you check the release note document?

Are you using ASIO on DAW?

I went into device manager | universal serial bus controllers | USB root hub | and found my usb sound card and it says power required 500 mA.. thats about all i can see.

I am using the latest steinberg driver which is Yamaha steinberg USB DRIVER 1.9.5, I see nothing of help in the release notes.

As for using asio in the daw yes I do. But i don;t even have my daw installed right now as its not fun to make music with a lag.

also using windows 7

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #10
Do you know your CPU and motherboard model? When you know it is not hard to find the power setting of your system. I only know about intel, SpeedStep and C-State should be disabled, but don't disable C1E as it can make your CPU hot and I can't see any audio performance boost in disabling C1E as well.

Also, you should really remove unused hardware and their drivers. If you can, use wired network instead of wireless.

Also, if you have previously plugged your audio interface into other USB slots, plug it into those slots again and uninstall it with Device Manager, tick the "uninstall driver" checkbox (if showed) during uninstall to remove all previously installed drivers. Do the same with other USB devices, then restart and install again. Sometimes it may help.

If it still doesn't solve the problem, consider not to use other Steinberg interface again, replace it with another brand.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #11
LatencyMon tells me..  Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearings as drop outs, clicks or pop. One problem may be related to power management, disablr CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.  As I said i already updated my BIOS... but I dont understand how to disable cpu throttling in control panels and bios setup.

If the LatencyMon sees the issue then just examine what it says (usually you find the problematic driver named there ...).

Quote from: splinter44 link=msg=0 date=
I have a usb wifi card.

Maybe this is the culprit.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #12
Hi Splinter44

It would seem you could be experiencing buffer shortage (most likely), or, Port noise/saturation.  I do not have a UR22, however, I have Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 USB DAC, & Motu 16Ai audio devices both via USB.

Firstly a few key things to note:

1. A High speed USB audio device (to be used @ sample rates above 96khz) should NOT share a usb port with another device.
2. Most modern USB DAC's function in two modes USB 1 Mode & USB 2

USB 1 mode should work WITHOUT the manufacturers driver as a HID class compliant audio device, the drivers for which, are available in windows vista & up. Functions up to 24bit 96khz ONLY.
USB 2 mode requires the manufacturers driver to get sample rates above 96khz.

** Not sure if this applies to your situation it's just here for completeness **

So the process would be to insert your usb cable to a usb port at the back of your pc; NOT via a extension cable, power on the device, then let windows install the hid class device drivers for it. Reboot. 

Play some audio to check that your PC can pass audio data to your device. if all is well here proceed to the next step.

Now you can proceed to install the drivers for USB 2 operation.

At this point my DacMagic 100 won't install the drivers, as the device defaults to USB 1 mode, I have to place the device in USB 2 mode before the driver will see the device.

I took a gander at the UR22 pdf manual & no mode switching is mentioned.

DacMagic 100 Default Buffer sizes for streaming & ASIO

DacMagic 100 Streaming buffer size range.

I believe the values are 64,128,256,384,512,768 samples.

DacMagic 100 ASIO buffer size range.

on page 14 of the UR22 manual it states:
Is a network adaptor for wired/
wireless LAN running?
Disable the suspected network adaptor. Some
network adaptors can cause noise

I'm hoping that among this info you can find a solution to your issues.

Regards,

Slowflow.

Steinberg UR-22 problems

Reply #13
It was plugged into the back of my computer via usb with another usb next to it so yes i believe your comment about putting it in a lone usb rather than paired fixed my issue!

thanks dude

the rest of you are all faggots tho

kidding