Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a command line tool can read/write wave tag? (Read 5131 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a command line tool can read/write wave tag?

I have thousands of .wav files on my harddisk. Some of them are part taged. Now I want to replace some strings in some tags.
I know it can be done manually using  foobar2000. But the work is so slow. So I tried some command line tag tools.
I tried Tag.exe v2.0.52 with .wav file, it display "Incorrect extension."
And then I tried Perl's TagLib Module, but some of the wave files cannot  read/write correctly.

Reply #1
I have thousands of .wav files on my harddisk. Some of them are part taged. Now I want to replace some strings in some tags.
I know it can be done manually using  foobar2000. But the work is so slow. So I tried some command line tag tools.
I tried Tag.exe v2.0.52 with .wav file, it display "Incorrect extension."
And then I tried Perl's TagLib Module, but some of the wave files cannot  read/write correctly.

Would it help to convert first to lossless compressed files for which much better tagging tools exist? Then you could convert back to wav if you want.

Reply #2
Would it help to convert first to lossless compressed files for which much better tagging tools exist? Then you could convert back to wav if you want.

It's a very good idea. I've tried it. Flac and metaflac work well in the command line.
Flac.exe convert wave file fast. Metaflac.exe can read/write flac tags.
The problem is I need copy the tags from wave to flac. So I need get the wave tags first. Metaflac cannot do this.

Reply #3
Why would you like to use command line? Have you tried foobar2000?

Reply #4
Read the original post.

Reply #5
I know it can be done manually using foobar2000. But the work is so slow.

Have you tried Mastagger? It might be enough for your task.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title...8foo_masstag%29

Don't know about Perl's TagLib Module, but maybe it is due to inconsistency in how they are tagged. WAV files can have INFO chunks, ID3 chunks or maybe others. Also, inconsistent character encoding can be used for INFO chunks. You'd better avoid WAV if tags are important to you.

The problem is I need copy the tags from wave to flac. So I need get the wave tags first. Metaflac cannot do this.

It's easily done by fb2k.

Reply #6
Very detailed and helpful. I'm glad I solved the problem finally. 
First foobar2000 converts all the wav to flac. The flac files copy the tags from wav files automatically.
Then masstagger does simple string replacement.
At last metaflac does more complicated rest.