Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the point to all these lossless formats? (Read 22717 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the point to all these lossless formats?

Reply #25
A vast number of people have the capability to use lossless, as WMA lossless is part of the standard Windows Media Player, but you have to wonder how many of them have ever looked at that option screen.

Reply #27
What percentage of BluRay releases use MLP?

~15%
Despite the late start DTS has won that battle.

To expand upon this, when DTS came up with its dts-master codec they made it an extension of the original DTS codec, meaning one stream that works with both dts-master and legacy DTS decoders. Dolby digital and truhd require separate streams which has turned major studios off of using Dolby. Oops. Whether there is any audible difference between any of them is for another thread.

Reply #28
A vast number of people have the capability to use lossless, as WMA lossless is part of the standard Windows Media Player, but you have to wonder how many of them have ever looked at that option screen.

I am one of the few that lives in a Microsoft world. I use windows phone because I dislike iPhone and find android s interface reminds me of windows 3.x with its icon driven interface. That being said I use a zune 120 strapped to a fiio e11k for portable listening therefore WMA lossless is what I use. I still swear zunes have the best most attractive interface of any portable player and as long as they continue to work I will use them. For my zunehd and lumia 830 I use WMA pro! How's that for non conformity!

Reply #29
Whether there is any audible difference between any of them is for another thread.

They're both lossless, what's to say? They can however include meta data to make level adjustments on playback etc afaik.

Reply #30
One potential difference I haven't seen mentioned is latency.  That is significant, for example, for a radio station doing live remote.

Reply #31
What percentage of BluRay releases use MLP?

~15%
Despite the late start DTS has won that battle.

Which means that most (?) Blu-Ray owners use MLP from time to time, I assume?

How many users does that make, compared to FLAC / ALAC / WMA?

Reply #32
I must say again I love wavpack because it supports 32-bit float which is great to archive DAW exports without worrying about dithering/clipping/normalizing.

Adobe Audition, for example, opens a 32-bit float file much faster than a 24-bit one with the same length and sample rate.

Reply #33
ALAC support is included in (at least?) the latest Windows 10 build.

It's a bizarre twist, if only because given enough time for Windows 10 to penetrate, ALAC becomes the "least problematic" method for sharing compressed lossless files on desktop.

Reply #34
I was under the impression Windows 10 will support FLAC natively as well.

Reply #35

I'd love to see stats supporting this. I would consider ALAC a niche product.

I wouldn't be surprised if its the most widely used lossless format.  Certainly more dedicated mp3 player have shipped supporting it than any other format.  For a long time it was one of the only options for lossless compression in mobile, although now thats changing thanks to Android.

I'm guessing that's based on the volume of iPods supporting ALAC.  Since it was invented to be the mobile compliment to iTunes, I wouldn't call it a dedicated mp3 player!

Reply #36
Late to the topic...

"Why lossless?"

Maybe we wanted to save space and preserve our recordings?

+1 WAVpack for supporting the widest range of bit-depths. We already ran Windows back in the early days. (Cheers Bryant! And long live Reaper!)

Then there's the CD archival persons. Lots less wear and tear to have backups rather than re-ripping everything to the latest/greatest lossy format and save an extra step trans-coding.

I attest that over here we usually do more performing than ripping.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #38
I like FLAC because I have a portable media player that plays them and it's CD quality.  And 24-bit is available for computer files. 
I also like WAVpack because myintermediate home studio recordings/mixing format is 32-bit floating point. 
In the past I used WAVpack to archive those since FLAC can't contain floating point formats.  So yeah, some of us use both. 
Also some RockBoxed media players can play WAVpack.  I might try that at some point in the future. 

I don't use ALAC since I'm not on a Mac, and I don't use WMA lossless because I don't like Microsoft's style
Be a false negative of yourself!

Reply #39
As for "niche" products ... what would you say about Meridian Lossless? What percentage of BluRay releases use MLP? (And is that a niche? HD DVD and DVD-A are, I'd say.)

AFAIK MLP (used on DVD-A) was called Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray (and allowed (even) higher bit rates there). When it is available, there is usually also a PCM and/or DTS-MA stream.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #40
As for "niche" products ... what would you say about Meridian Lossless? What percentage of BluRay releases use MLP? (And is that a niche? HD DVD and DVD-A are, I'd say.)

AFAIK MLP (used on DVD-A) was called Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray (and allowed (even) higher bit rates there). When it is available, there is usually also a PCM and/or DTS-MA stream.

I was assuming it was used for DRM-ing. But I might have missed it completely. But you are saying that there is considerably overlap that http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php does not reveal?