Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yet another mp3 to mp3 conversion thread (Read 4286 times) previous topic - next topic

Yet another mp3 to mp3 conversion thread

I want to convert my higher bitrate mp3 files to 128kbps mp3s for my iRiver & iPod, most of the files are 192-320kbps, on various settings......vbr, cdr etc.....
How much of a quality loss will the files suffer as a result of this?

Reply #2
?

the correct answer would be something between none and a lot.

Just try it damnit, this question was answered just yesterday. If you already acknowledge this is YET another thread, what is so special about your question that it deserves a new one?
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #3
?

Just try it damnit, this question was answered just yesterday. If you already acknowledge this is YET another thread, what is so special about your question that it deserves a new one?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336285"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used the expression 'Yet another" because the other threads went over my head.....i'm new at this......ripping Cds is the extent of my knowldege, only recently found out about the LAME encoder........so this is a bit of a learning phase....

Reply #4
?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used the expression 'Yet another" because the other threads went over my head.....i'm new at this......ripping Cds is the extent of my knowldege, only recently found out about the LAME encoder........so this is a bit of a learning phase....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336292"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this thread:  [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=6410&hl=reencoding&s=]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....l=reencoding&s=[/url]

Reply #5
?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this thread:  [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=6410&hl=reencoding&s=]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....l=reencoding&s=[/url]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336293"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, that helps a lot! 

Reply #6

Unfortunately no one can give you a more accurate answer than that there is a large possibility that you will lose quality. But this is far from quantifiable and differs from person to person. Like I said, the only way to find out is to try out yourself. I doubt there is any proven "good" way of how to transcode.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #7
Guess i'll be doing some testing this weeked.........

Reply #8
On a related but offtopic note, is there any more word on a practicable ogg peeler?