Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Adaptec Aspi 4.72 (Read 7588 times) previous topic - next topic

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #1
Hmm they've included file with wrong name in distro: aspiinit.exe (or something like that) instead of aspiinst. Bugs happen. 
BTW what that 'a2' part means: alpha 2? 

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #2
Adaptec is never good with distributing/installations/documentation.. they ALWAYS goof something up.

One I noticed is in the instructions, they say the files are unzipped by default to \adaptec\.. ok, then they say to install on Windows XP you should run \adaptec\aspi\install.bat. Heh.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #3
Has any HA member actually installed this package, verified the update, and then tested to see if it worked?

I ask because aspi changes really trashed my os on some past occasions.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #4
Probably not, for the exact reason you've outlined.    I'm still happily chugging along with Nero's ASPI layer.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #5
I downloaded the package, double clicked the setup file which installed to \adaptec.  I ran the command INSTALL.BAT XP32, (I'm in WinXPHome), and it said the files were copied correctly.  There was no message telling me to reboot, but I rebooted anyways.  When I came back into WinXPHome I ran aspichk.exe and it says my aspi version installed is 4.71.2 and it also says WARNING: ASPI component missing.  I thought maybe I didn't install it correctly so I went back and ran INSTALL.BAT XP32 and rebooted.  Aspichk.exe still says its not installed correctly.  I have burnt a data cd in B's Recorder Gold and ripped some tracks from an audio cd with EAC.  No problems so far.  I'm still not sure if im running on 4.71 or 4.72 though.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #6
Adaptec is never good with distributing/installations/documentation.. they ALWAYS goof something up.

One I noticed is in the instructions, they say the files are unzipped by default to \adaptec\.. ok, then they say to install on Windows XP you should run \adaptec\aspi\install.bat. Heh.

actually they are saying:

"This file extracts by default to the c:\adaptec\ irectory."

what the hell is a irectory?
If the write code like that, i now understand why aspi 4.70 screwed up so many people's ripping ability.
Sven Bent - Denmark

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #7
Has any HA member actually installed this package, verified the update, and then tested to see if it worked?

I have installed these, no problems at all. I installed over 4.71 so I don't know if these are unable to set registry settings correctly like 4.7x. If they are, it's easy to fix with this.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #8
You have to rename the installer for Win9x/2K machines since the batch file has an error in it pointing to the wrong .exe which doesn't exist -- that is if you use the batch file which isn't necessary on non WinXP machines. Even the docs mention the wrong .exe file name. The ASPI checking program states that it is installed correctly however.

I'll have no way of knowing if it is correct since I use VOB ASAPI in EAC for all my ripping, however when I go to do another backup to CD-RW I guess I'll find out.

System File Checker notes a version change on Windows 98:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wnaspi32.dll
Previous ver 4.71 (0001) | New ver 4.71 (0002)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\apix.vxd
Pervious ver 4.71 (0001) | New ver 4.71 (0002)

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #9
See what happened to me, when I installed those ASPI-drivers from Adaptec:

Hello guys!

Since I installed those nasty ADAPTEC-ASPI-drivers, all things go wrong on my computer. Every time, when I restart my system, all 2 IDE-devices (a CD- and a DVD-burner) disappear from the device-summary of Nero Burning Rom (there´s only this "image recorder" still listed). And also, the second IDE-device (the dvd-burner) disappears from "Exact Audio Copy". I know how to solve this problem normally, by switching back in EAC to "Native Win 32 Interface for Win 2000/XP". But this function seems also to have been disabled by those ASPI-drivers of ADAPTEC. Now I would like to deinstall those drivers, but this also isn´t possible, as there is a deinstallation-routine (or -exe) missing. I´m really trapped at the moment. I neither can´t move forward nor back anymore. Does anyone have an advice or suggestings? The only thing I know to do at the moment, is to re-install NERO. Then all devices appear again - but only until the next system-start, then they gone away again. Are the programmers of ADAPTEC totally "locco"?!

- R.A.F. -

P.S.:
I use the latest V4.71 Adaptec-ASPI´s and as OS I have Win XP Pro including the Service-Pack 1 installed.

Update:
-------
I fixed the problem meanwhile. But NOT with those new ASPI-drivers (V4.72) from Adaptec. They are the same shit as the old ones. In my eyes, the programmers of Adaptec are a bunch of lamers. They should better quit their job!

I needed now nearly 1 hour to fix the problem by changing settings and generating keys in the registry , and searching and erasing 2 ASPI-driver-files, which are not needed. Thanks, Case, for the correct link to the fix-instructions!

To all out there: If you want to use alternative ASPI´s then take them from VOB. But all in all I have to say, that there´s no need to do it, as the native-drivers of Win2000 and XP work without any errors.
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #10
As I like to say, don't try to fix it if it aint broke.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #11
Now something positive about Adaptec.
I use the Adaptec SCSI-layer since version 4.60 without any problem.
Since version 4.7x it is free to use.

At the moment I use Windows 2000 SP3 with the following software:
(Adaptec 4.72) ASPI32.SYS 4.7.12
(Adaptec 4.72) WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021)
(Adaptec 4.72) WINASPI.DLL 4.6 (1021)
(Adaptec 4.72) WNASPI32.DLL 4.7.12
Golden Hawk CDRWin 3.9B (without the ASPI layer form golden hawk)
Golden Hawk DAO 3.9B
Nero Burning 5.5.9.14
Exact Audio Copy 0.9 beta 4 (ASPI Interface)

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #12

Installed it (win2k sp3), run it, no problems so far (--knockingonwood).

Since I installed those nasty ADAPTEC-ASPI-drivers, all things go wrong on my computer.

Did you have aspi 460 (or ForceASPI) installed before, or installed 471 on clean ('Adaptec-free') system. AFAIK it doesn't work if you install 4.7x without having 4.60 previously installed. Although it's ok from aspichk's point of view (it says 'installed & functional'), still it doesn't work.

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #13
OK, the story gone like this: About one week ago I installed V4.70 of Adaptec´s ASPI´s. I did this, because in some rare cases, Nero did not recognize my DVD-burner after system-start. So I thought about to install an alternative driver. Unfortunately I choosed the Adaptec-drivers, which were still on my hard-disk, as I did already download them a few months ago. (At that time I did not know, that VOB and Nero also have own ASPI-drivers.) After installing it, my drives disappeared partly (with EAC) and complete (when using Nero) ALWAYS after booting. And as those Adaptec-programmers "forgot" a deinstallation-routine, I was forced to have them forever on my system - I thought. So, I was looking for alternatives. I saw, that these drivers already were from february 2002 (or so), and so I took a look at their web-page for later releases. And there was one: V4.71 from may ´02. So I just installed them over the old ones. - What else should I do, as they even don´t have a possibility for deinstallation. So, "No, the installation wasn´t clean." And today I downloaded those new ASPI-version. - But it also didn´t correct my problems. So I followed the instructions of "ASPI fix when devices not show" (see link above): I deleted the 2 DLL´s "WOWPOST.EXE" and "WINASPI.DLL", as they are not necessary for WinXP. And this reg-fix file, which makes a new query in the registry, i also let ran. - But this all didn´t fix the problem. After each system-start nero did not show any drives for writing on. Only the very last hint:

".....This has worked on EVERY XP/2K box I've tried. But, if it still doesn't work, try changing "Start"=dword:00000002 to "Start"=dword:00000001 in the .reg file then run it again, and then reboot."

did solve my system´s problem.

So, even if I would have installed Adaptec´s ASPI´s on a clean installation, these errors would have appeared, I suppose.
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

New Adaptec Aspi 4.72

Reply #14
I'll stick with 4.60. Like Winamp 2, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!