Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 (Read 2770 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1

I have some 24-bit / 96kHZ FLAC files that will not play on my Cowon D2.

I'm pretty sure that the player balks at both the bit-rate AND the sample rate... so need to convert to 16-bit / 44.1kHZ most likely.

What I'm not sure about is how to do this properly in Foobar.  Is there a 'best' way to do this conversion?  Not sure if there's any personal preference type choices that can be made for the conversion, or if it's as simple as just 16-bit/44.1 and done.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply #1
What do you have to lose by just doing it? At the least, you would know if there are any preference type choices and you could ask a specific question. While you wait on an answer here you could already be done with a test file to test on your Cowon and determine if this was really the issue.

Reply #2
What do you have to lose by just doing it? At the least, you would know if there are any preference type choices and you could ask a specific question. While you wait on an answer here you could already be done with a test file to test on your Cowon and determine if this was really the issue.

I see what you're saying, but I am not sure HOW to do it in Foobar.  The app's Help info didn't really help me out... and I thought this particular conversion would be reasonably common, so someone here would be able to explain the procedure.

Reply #3
Select the relevant files, select Convert from the context menu. Set up a new encoding profile by selecting ...:

In the Output Format section set Output bit depth to 16-bit, and set Dither to "Always" to force dithering or "Never" to truncate (I'd choose "Always"). Then select an existing FLAC profile or add a new one, using the preset for FLAC.
Destination is up to you.
In Processing add a resampler and set it to 44.1kHz.
Options in Other are not important, but check yourself.

In the end go back to the Overview pane and save the profile for later reuse. After that, hit Convert.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.