Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audacity 1.2.0 is out! (Read 5740 times) previous topic - next topic

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Audacity was recently bumped to 1.2.0 stable, with a load of new features. (If you use VST plugins with Audacity, you'll still need the separate VST Enabler.)

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #1
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']The following has been moved from the 1st post to save space on HA portal page.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/span]

- M.

Changes in Audacity 1.2
This page lists major changes since our last stable release, Audacity 1.0.0. Users of our beta versions should see the changelog for changes since Audacity 1.1.0.

Professional-Quality Audio
Audacity can now record and edit 24-bit and 32-bit (floating-point) samples. Tracks with different sample rates and formats can exist in the same project, and Audacity will convert them in realtime whenever necessary. High-quality dithering and resampling is used for all conversions.
Audacity's sound input and output has been improved. Audacity can now record more than two channels at once. Buffering is improved, for lower chances of skipping and buffer underruns.

Effects
Three new effects change the pitch and tempo of a track:
Change Pitch raises or lowers the tone of a selection, without affecting the speed.
Change Tempo makes the selection play faster or slower, without altering the pitch.
Change Speed alters both the playback speed and the pitch, just like changing the speed of a turntable or tape player.
Most effects now include a "Preview" button, which allows you to try different settings without closing the effect window. A new command allows you to repeat the last effect without re-opening the window.
Other new effects include:
Compressor, for dynamic range compression.
Repeat, to loop samples.
Normalize, to adjust volume and correct DC bias.

New Editing Features
The Envelope tool, used for smoothly fading tracks in and out, can now be used to make tracks louder than their original volume as well as quieter.
The new "Time track" feature is similar to the volume envelope, but instead changes the playback speed smoothly as a track plays.
Each track now has its own Gain and Pan controls, for easier mixing. 
Audacity can find zero-crossings, to help create smooth cuts and loops. Press "Z" to move selection edges to the nearest zero-crossings.

Plugins
On Linux, Audacity can now load LADSPA plugins.
Audacity 1.2 features a digital signal processing language called Nyquist, which allows users to program new effects in a LISP-like language.

File Import and Export
Audacity 1.2 project files use a new XML file format. Audacity 1.2 will automatically open and convert project files from earlier releases.
Audacity 1.2 uses libmad for much faster decoding of MP3 files. Erik de Castro Lopo's libsndfile provides improved compatibility with many uncompressed audio file formats.
The import and open dialogs now allow Audacity users to select several audio files at once, and open them into a single project. A new "LOF" file format provides a way for Audacity to open a group of files with offsets listed in a text file.

Improved User Interface
New Edit and Mixer toolbars for fast access to common functions.
The new Drawing tool allows adjustment of individual samples, when fully zoomed in. The new Multi-Tool mode gives quick access to different editing functions without needing to switch tools.
Many new keyboard commands have been added, and keyboard shortcuts can now be customized.
New commands:
Looped play. Type "L", or hold down shift when clicking Play.
Type "1" to play a 1-second preview of the audio around the cursor.
The mouse wheel can be used to zoom in and out.
Tracks can now be zoomed vertically by clicking or dragging in the vertical rulers. Shift-click or right-click to zoom out.
The ruler and status bar can now display time in several different formats, including seconds, samples, or video frames.
Audacity's interface can now be translated into languages other than English. You can volunteer to help translate Audacity into your native language.

Edit: Fixed a silly formatting error. Always remember to close your tags! (Sort of like zippers....)
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #2
sadly, all 1.2.0 preview releases and the final too, dont work on my machine. Simply nothing happens when i start the exe(the audacity process would appear for a fraction of a second in the taskmanager and then close again).

The only thing i can think about which may be the reason is that i uninstalled most parts of internet-explorer - but then again, would and open-source app use IE-libraries?

audacity 1.0.0 works fine. Anyone else having this problem? I couldn't find any similiar issue documented in faqs, docs and forums.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #3
Haha, libmad is actually slower than mpglib.

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #4
sadly, all 1.2.0 preview releases and the final too, dont work on my machine. Simply nothing happens when i start the exe(the audacity process would appear for a fraction of a second in the taskmanager and then close again).

The only thing i can think about which may be the reason is that i uninstalled most parts of internet-explorer - but then again, would and open-source app use IE-libraries?

audacity 1.0.0 works fine. Anyone else having this problem? I couldn't find any similiar issue documented in faqs, docs and forums.

- Lyx

Hmm... are you using Norton's Protected Recycle Bin, by any chance? That's a fairly well-known Audacity-killer. Or, if you are still using Windows 95 that would do it (since Audacity requires at least Win98 to run). But both of those difficulties are mentioned on the Windows download page and you probably already saw them, so I'm guessing your problem lies elsewhere.

- M.

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #5
Nope. No single norton-application on my system(and never was). Win2k here.
The only unusual thing about my system, is that i removed most parts of IE via XPlite. However, i never ran into problems because of that in the past.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #6
Great to see that Audacity gets some steady development ... I hope this prog will grow further to become a real alternative to sound forge & co. ;-)
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #7
Anyone know if you can use DirectX plugins with audacity? Seems to be VST-only...

Audacity 1.2.0 is out!

Reply #8
any comments on how good the compressor and the tempo effects are?

ReDVsion: no, afaik.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung