Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Effect of MP3 on Stereo Subliminals/Hemi-Sync (Read 21853 times) previous topic - next topic

Effect of MP3 on Stereo Subliminals/Hemi-Sync

Reply #25

So when a company releasing this type of audio states that only uncompressed files will work, what is its motivation/cause to do so? Cursory testing of lossy/lossless codecs? Maintaining a simple, easily-enforcable product support policy?

CONVERTING TO THE FOLLOWING AUDIO FORMATS WILL RENDER YOUR HOLOSYNC SOUNDTRACKS USELESS: MP3, WMA lossless and lossy, Apple lossless, and AAC.

so ogg vorbis is alright then. 

Reply #26
...and of course, lossless compression destroys the sound 

So I take back what I said earlier. They just have no motivation for writing this. This is pure nonsense.

Reply #27
Lossless codecs, like, ruin the whole VIBE, man!

Reply #28
Clearly, the extra processing that lossless requires alters the sound, thus destroying the effect.

Reply #29
My friend has a ton of his CD's encoded in apple lossless.  Should I inform him that they have been rendered useless?   

Jokes aside, even if something were, in theory, completely devoid of any redundancies anywhere that a lossless codec could use to save space, would that not simply result in the losslessly-compressed file being equal in size to the original ?! (or even a tiny bit larger?)

Reply #30
Yes. Assuming there isn't some sort of bug with the codec, the file should still be lossless, even if larger.

Reply #31
Jokes aside, even if something were, in theory, completely devoid of any redundancies anywhere that a lossless codec could use to save space, would that not simply result in the losslessly-compressed file being equal in size to the original ?! (or even a tiny bit larger?)
If you put all possible bitstreams of a particular size through a lossless codec, the sum of all their sizes will remain constant (actually they will get bigger because of headers and things). Of course, with sensible bitstreams the picture is different.

Back to the original topic: if the effect that these recordings have is noticeable in any way, you could answer your question with an ABX test. Of course, lossy codecs are designed to be perceptually transparent - they are not designed to retain other properties of the signal, including strange "subconscious" effects. I think you are better off sticking with lossless.

Reply #32
I think most people here know (but it's worth repeating...) that if you want to compress really simple signals which, for whatever reason, lossy codecs might choke on (e.g. sines with odd phase/frequency relationships, impulses etc) , lossless audio encoders are one option, but good old zip (or rar, or...) can be even more efficient!

That's not much use for the subliminal tracks, but perfect for binaural beats.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #33
I think most people here know (but it's worth repeating...) that if you want to compress really simple signals which, for whatever reason, lossy codecs might choke on (e.g. sines with odd phase/frequency relationships, impulses etc) , lossless audio encoders are one option, but good old zip (or rar, or...) can be even more efficient!

That's not much use for the subliminal tracks, but perfect for binaural beats.

An excellent point.  The main issue with archive filetypes, though, is playability on a digital jukebox.  I assumed that Apple lossless on the iPod wouldn't be a problem.  I then saw that in their FAQ and went 'huh?'  To be fair, the lossless files felt like they were working when I tried them, but that could easily be placebo or the effect of just meditating regardless of auditory input.  I have would zero confidence in passing a 14-for-16 ABX test on it.