Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Corrupt ogg file from shutdown device (Read 4113 times) previous topic - next topic

Corrupt ogg file from shutdown device

Hello,

I was recording something on my android phone with a recording app, and the phone suddenly shutdown. The recording app produced an ogg file with data but it will not play. I've tried vlc, audacity, i've tried importing as raw data in audacity, and there is no data just static sound. I don't know anything about audio file, i tried using a hex editor, but i dont know what am suppose to look for, the corrupt file is missing moov and the mdata line as question marks. I don't know how to recover this file, and it's a very important file.

Re: Corrupt ogg file from shutdown device

Reply #1
You could try with ffmpeg. Easiest way is by looking in the audacity settings, and installing it from there. Then, import with Import -> Audio and setting File Type to FFmpeg-compatible files.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #2
You could try with ffmpeg. Easiest way is by looking in the audacity settings, and installing it from there. Then, import with Import -> Audio and setting File Type to FFmpeg-compatible files.

i have FFmpeg library in audacity, 55.33.100. I tried the import setting with the FFmpeg-compatible files filter rule set to the top, it's not working. when i import as raw data, i chose signed 16 bit PCM, default endianness, 1 channel (mono),44100hz & 4800hz, also tried little-endian, and 2 channels (stereo). I get the same results, static sound. The file has data, so there has to be a way for me to get the sound recording.

Reply #3
I don't have a solution but extracting the raw data won't help with compressed files.    Compression is a lot like encryption and it's useless garbage (noise) if it's not decoded/decompressed correctly.   And of course there is less data than you'd have in an uncompressed file so for example, you might have one minute of static noise instead of 5 minutes of music.

...You can open a WAV file as raw data if you know (or if you guess) the parameters, and you'll the good audio plus a little click at the beginning where the header is converted to audio data.

Therre are a couple of tools that can sometimes repair MP3 files but I don't know of anything like that for ogg (and I've never searched).

Reply #4
Importing as PCM can't work, you might try vorbis or opus if available.

Here are all the details of the container:
https://www.xiph.org/ogg/

You might try vorbis-tools if anything is parsable, maybe demux it...

Reply #6
Sorry I've been away. the apps produces ogg files, and i will try the vorbis.

Reply #7
Sorry I've been away. the apps produces ogg files, and i will try the vorbis.

I installed vorbis-tools, and every time I try to play the file with ogg123, I get "Error opening test.ogg using the oggvorbis module.  The file may be corrupted." This happens even if I play a working file from the recording app. I downloaded a sample ogg file from the internet, and ogg123 plays the file just fine. Also, when I use the command ogginfo for my file is says "ERROR: No Ogg data found in file test.ogg, Input probably not Ogg," it says that for working files from the recording app as well. Now the recording app i'm using spits out files in Ogg format, so it has to be ogg.

I installed Opus tools but i don't know how to use it. I don't know what demux is, but i'm probably going to try that next.

update: opus spits out the same error as vorbis-tool. I don't know what to do.

Reply #8
Can you upload corrupted file and one working file (from same app) for us?
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #10
I gotta leave for work in 15 minutes.
Is this good enough for you? Both in original AMR format and also MP3 if you need it for compatibility.
See you tomorrow.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #11
These are amr files in 3gp container - proper extension would be .3gp
Nothing to do with .ogg or Vorbis.

Reply #12
Is this good enough for you? Both in original AMR format and also MP3 if you need it for compatibility.
See you tomorrow.

wow! how'd you fix it? so i can do it, the file that actually needs to be fixed is too big to upload.

Reply #13
These are amr files in 3gp container - proper extension would be .3gp
Nothing to do with .ogg or Vorbis.

so the app im using is off. so how can i recover?

Reply #14
See you tomorrow.
Great! It would be really nice, if you shared with us how you managed to do it. The tools you used and the procedure. Once you have time for it, of course.
lame -V 0