Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: applying replaygain to wav-files (Read 4952 times) previous topic - next topic

applying replaygain to wav-files

First of all a thank you to you all for making such a excellent program available, I find that FB2K exceeds other programs by far when it comes to sound quality.

Being a newbie,  I have been searching the forums and wiki for hours now, for a solution of my following issue, however unsuccesfully. So I finally overcame my hesitation to bother you with my (perhaps stuppid) question.

I have ripped my (1000+) cd's to .wav-files. (I know, lossless is preferred but after I started ripping my cd's to FLAC, I found out that certain software that I frequently use could not handle .flac files. So despite of all the advantages of ripping to flac, I therefore started again and ripped everything to .wav)

Now I wish to apply replaygain to these .wav files, however I get the error message "could not write info (unsupported format or corrupted file) to: [name of file]. I assumed that this may have something to do with the fact that tagging .wav is not possible/not recommended as I found out.  Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

On the Foobar Wiki I found that "All other formats are supported but the replaygain values are saved to the foobar2000 database." and further  "You can also choose to only have the replaygain values saved in the foobar2000 database and leave the files untouched."

However I have searched and searched but have not found how to enable such database. The Wiki speaks about 'Database' under Preferences, but that concerned v.  0.8.3, I am using the 0.9.4.3 version of FooBar, but could not find 'Database'

I would very much appreciate if one of you would be so kind to explain how to apply replaygain to .wav files or how to enable such database.
Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
Thijs

Reply #1
I find that FB2K exceeds other programs by far when it comes to sound quality.

From the foobar2000 FAQ:
Q: Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?
A: No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). Foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

Please read section 8 of the Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

I would very much appreciate if one of you would be so kind to explain how to apply replaygain to .wav files or how to enable such database.

Neither is it possible to store ReplayGain tags in WAV files, nor is there a database in version 0.9.x that could hold them.

The respective documentation in the wiki is outdated and refers to version 0.8.

Reply #2
1. if you really want to replaygain, you have to use a format being capable of keeping tags - as wav is not able to do this, you have to choose another format.
btw : decoding lossless-compressed files is an easy and fast task. And with 1000+ discs you'll also save some hdd-space (if you care). Maybe use burrrn (e.g.), which will do the decoding for you

2. maybe foo_custominfo might be able to write the replaygain-tags of the wavs to a custominfo-file... you'll have to check it out

Reply #3
Dear Frank,

Thank you very much for your answering my issue. I am sorry that because of my enthusiasm for Foobar 2000, I (undeliberately) violated rule nr 8. I guess that the ability to make full use of the 32 bit sampling for my sound card disguised me. Once again thank you
Regards,
Thijs

Reply #4
@Thijs:
Would you tell us what you mean with

I found out that certain software that I frequently use could not handle .flac files.

Reply #5
@Thijs:
Would you tell us what you mean with

I found out that certain software that I frequently use could not handle .flac files.

Mixmeister Pro does not handle FLAC files. Only MixMeister Fusion, which is twice as expensive as Pro, supports FLAC.

Reply #6
That's really nasty 

Reply #7
there is still good old 'brute force' wavegain:
http://rarewares.org/others.html

from readme:
WaveGain is an application of the ReplayGain algorithms to standard PCM wave files. Where it differs from the other applications of this principle is that the gain adjustments are applied directly to adjusting the scaling of the samples. In other words, the option to write tags that can be read by other applications to apply the gain adjustment does not exist, so the adjustments are made directly to the data within the file.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #8
Thank you for all your help and suggestions!
Regards
Thijs