Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 649692 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #375
I am using wine 1.3.13 and some time ago drag & drop within foobar stopped working. Within foobar means simply dragging of playlist entries to other playlists and similar operations. Any clues how to fix this?

I can't even drag & drop between Linux and Foobar. Using PCManFM/Xfce/Linux Mint 9. Does someone mention it in the past 14 pages or it's just me?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #376
I can't even drag & drop between Linux and Foobar

what WINE version are you using?
drag and drop was introduced in 1.3 afaik

I use it all the time and it works flawlessly

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #377
hello all,
after trying pretty much every music player for linux (including gmusicbroswer and deadbeef) i'm coming back to foobar, running it under wine with my kde mint distro, foobar being really the only app i miss from my windows days...
anyway, back then my theme of choice was the darkone by tedgo, and i'm wondering if anyone has had any luck running this on their wine/foobar configuration? i seem to have problems with wsh panel mod at present and would welcome any help in getting it to work!

many thanks

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #378
Hi. I run foobar2000 under wine on Debian wheezy amd64 and eveything is going smoothly instead of audio CD playback. foobar2000 is telling me "No CD drivers found.". Does someone of you have audio CD playback working under wine? I bet you have, because it worked for me one time. foobar2000 saw and played my CD like it is supposed to, but the I restarted my PC and it was gone. Now it's again spilling with "No CD drivers found." messages. Does somebody know how to fix that?

I wrote my problem on WineHQ irc channel. I mage some screenshots. It will be easier to help me when you look at them. That's what I wrote there:

I can't play audio CDs in foobar 2000 uner wine. When I select "Open Audio CD" (I will post images so everything will be clearer):
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4854/selectaudiocd.png
I get this message:
http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/4056/audiocdindrive.png
It's like foobar2000 isn't seeing my drive. But then again, when I switch a regular DVD into one of my drives (I have two) and select "Open Audio CD" again, then it sees the drive:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4854/selectaudiocd.png
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6414/dvdindrive.png
but it cannot play it, because it is not audio CD.
When I select "Open..." instead of "Open Audio CD":
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2319/selectopen.png
and go to My Computer to check if the drives are there, yes they are. Both marked as "Audio CD":
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7845/mycomputerdp.png
But I cannot play it from there because they are both empty:
http://img829.imageshack.us/f/audiocdempty.png/
Linux can't mount audio CDs.
Here's what I've got in winecfg and in ~/.wine/dosdevices (output in the terminal):
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8791/deviceslist.png
It appears that Wine sees both of the drives as audio CDs, but foobar2000 does not. I was just making another screenshot to show that VLC under wine also doens't see the drive but now it does (it didn't before) and plays it well. So I guess it's more foobar2000 problem (under wine) than the wine itself.
Although there's 1 important thing. Yesterday out of the blue foobar2000 actually saw the drive with audio CD in it and played it. I don't know what I did (I didn't anything special). After PC restart it didn't do it anymore. It was just one time success, but it shows foobar2000 is capable of playing audio CDs under wine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #379
Audio CD component does not work with WINE, I believe there's a bridge missing between the component and the drive available by WINE.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #380
Audio CD component does not work with WINE, I believe there's a bridge missing between the component and the drive available by WINE.

But it really worked for me one time. Burial's CD "Untrue" was playing and everything was okay. There's something not working right for sure (and it's not only my case I see), but it IS possible. So maybe someone actually has it working? And maybe someone actually know how to make it work if it isn't?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #381
But it really worked for me one time. Burial's CD "Untrue" was playing and everything was okay. There's something not working right for sure (and it's not only my case I see), but it IS possible. So maybe someone actually has it working? And maybe someone actually know how to make it work if it isn't?

This is interesting. Actually I wanted that feature badly.
Check the device permissions, perhaps wine does not have the right permission?
However I don't have my hopes with fb2k, outside just converting audio and scanning ReplayGain in Linux.
I actually use QuodLibet for playing recreation...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #382
This is interesting. Actually I wanted that feature badly.
Check the device permissions, perhaps wine does not have the right permission?
However I don't have my hopes with fb2k, outside just converting audio and scanning ReplayGain in Linux.
I actually use QuodLibet for playing recreation...

Permissions are all okay, but thanks for the tip.

I reminded one thing. When I got foobar2000 to play my audio CD in one of the drives (I have two), the other one was stuck. Sometimes I have situations where one my drives gets stuck and you cannot open the tray nor read from it. You have to restart PC to get it right again. I don't know if it's important but maybe, for someone.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #383
Actually it would be a nice thing this issue with drive to be solved, because if it is, we would finally have a good ripping tool under Linux. Because I find all the Linux rippers kinda crap, or missing some feature I like. FB2k would temporarely fill the EAC missing gap on Linux, at least as long as RubyRipper is noy bug-free and lacking features.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #384
Because I find all the Linux rippers kinda crap, or missing some feature I like. FB2k would temporarely fill the EAC missing gap on Linux

Have you tried running EAC under Wine? It works just fine for me...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #385
Because I find all the Linux rippers kinda crap, or missing some feature I like. FB2k would temporarely fill the EAC missing gap on Linux

I've just installed EAC and when I run EAC.exe I get:
"Unhandled Exception
at 018B7EB0 -> ACCESS_VIOLATION"

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #386

what's your wine version?
EAC works for me just fine with wine 1.3.x
afaik most distributions ship with some older (1.1.x) wine versions

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #387
wine-1.3.16
EAC 1.0 beta1

I will try to work it out later.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #388
"Unhandled Exception
at 018B7EB0 -> ACCESS_VIOLATION"

I've just upgraded EAC and I can confirm that latest version (1.0beta1) gives error message you quoted and does not go any further.  I went back to 0.99prebeta5 and it is still working nicely.

Edit:
There's a workaround:
- install latest EAC (1.0beta1)
- open shell window, go to EAC directory (it is ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Exact Audio Copy/ by default)
- run: regsvr32 sqlceca35.dll sqlceoledb35.dll HelperFunctions.dll
and it should work.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #389
I've just upgraded EAC and I can confirm that latest version (1.0beta1) gives error message you quoted and does not go any further.  I went back to 0.99prebeta5 and it is still working nicely.

Edit:
There's a workaround:
- install latest EAC (1.0beta1)
- open shell window, go to EAC directory (it is ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Exact Audio Copy/ by default)
- run: regsvr32 sqlceca35.dll sqlceoledb35.dll HelperFunctions.dll
and it should work.

Yeah, it worked. Application shows up but it freezes in a moment and nothing can be done.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #390
Yeah, it worked. Application shows up but it freezes in a moment and nothing can be done.

Perhaps it freezes while trying to detect CD drives? Can you access your CDROM from Wine?  Run winecfg and on "Drives" tab make sure you have your CDROM assigned to some letter and its type is set to "CD-ROM". It's just a wild guess but most of problems with CDs under wine seems to be coming from such misconfiguration...

Edit: It seems that we're going slightly off-topic here, sorry for that.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #391

Version 1.0 seems to not run in WINE anymore.
And version 0.99, Fedora does not like it (some SELinux policy locks it I believe).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #392
Version 1.0 seems to not run in WINE anymore.
And version 0.99, Fedora does not like it (some SELinux policy locks it I believe).

Can't help you with fedora/selinux specific problems, but definitely Wine is able to run latest EAC:

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #393
I got it working. Just reinstalled. Actually I even installed portable version. Thanks for help.

Really nobody have ever played audio CD under foobar2000?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #394
Anyone got WSH_panel_mod working in Linux yet?

I'm trying to  see how many tasks I can do in Linux which
I normally do in Windows.
<3 f00

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #395

yes. a post of mine from another thread.....

this is how i got it working on ubuntu 10.10. i deleted my .wine folder and tested again to be sure....

1) run the "configure tool" so your wine folder gets created again.
2) download and save this as "winetricks" http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
3) open a terminal and navigate to where you saved the above file and run

sh winetricks

4) select these packages

gdiplus
ie6
msxml3
winhttp
wininet
wsh56

with that lot it has full internet connectivity.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #396

yes. a post of mine from another thread.....

this is how i got it working on ubuntu 10.10. i deleted my .wine folder and tested again to be sure....

1) run the "configure tool" so your wine folder gets created again.
2) download and save this as "winetricks" http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
3) open a terminal and navigate to where you saved the above file and run

sh winetricks

4) select these packages

gdiplus
ie6
msxml3
winhttp
wininet
wsh56

with that lot it has full internet connectivity.

Thanks marc2003,

I'm gonna try that.
<3 f00

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #397
@marc2003:

Thanks for the guide! Do you perhaps know how to make the plugin auto-update feature also work under wine? I am getting the following message:
"Could not check for updates: Unknown error code (2148073477)" whenever I click on the "Get Updates" in the preferences/components screen.

This does not give me enough info to track down the problem, and neither does the console output of wine
PS: Using Wine 1.2.2

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #398
Update: Component updates work fine with Wine 1.3.18.
PS: For some reason I could not edit my previous post...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #399
Well,

I got Wsh_panel_mod running now

Thanks again marc2003 

Now I have an issue with the masstagger,
I can get masstagger to work in an copy of a former config of mine (foobar2000 v1.0.3)
But when I do a new portable install, everytime I go to the context menu of masstagger,
foobar crashes..
I tried multiple versions of foobar, but all crash.

I'm gonna reinstall Ubuntu and wine en gonna see if it works then.
<3 f00