Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain album gain problem (Read 17143 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain album gain problem

Reply #25
Why tag as different albums?  Could one not just select arbitrary groupings of tracks and "Scan Selection as a Single Album" rinse, wash, repeat?
Creature of habit.

Reply #26
I was going to say the same thing.

Reply #27
Pretty much everything in my collection of Fusion, Rock and Metal.  The closest artist I have to the Beatles would be The Rolling Stones, I suppose.

Greynol, since I can't clearly reproduce your findings, allow me to debrief you a bit further.

• Does it matter whether the Beatles tracks are in mono or stereo? Are both flavors too loud?
  • For stereo Beatles tracks, can you give an estimate in dB of how much too loud they are in your Rock playlist after RG?
  • Same for mono Beatles tracks, if available.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #28
Is it possible to write a component, or revise anything within Foobar itself, to provide what some have called 'on-the-fly", "ad-hoc", or "dynamic playlist" replaygains?  This would entail scanning, temporarily storing, and using a Replaygain value run on the specific files selected for playback.  I think this would go a log way to address the complex considerations that are mentioned in several previous posts that cannot be easily addressed by just use of track and album tags. 

Yes, this is functionally the same as rerunning Replaygain with a custom selection as mentioned previously, but the on-the-fly approach is more user friendly (the more varied your playback habits, the more efficient the dynamic approach).

Reply #29
Does it matter whether the Beatles tracks are in mono or stereo? Are both flavors too loud?

Try anything from disc one of the Red Album (pre-2010 remaster).

can you give an estimate in dB of how much too loud they are in your Rock playlist after RG?

3-4dB?

Reply #30
Is it possible to write a component, or revise anything within Foobar itself, to provide what some have called 'on-the-fly", "ad-hoc", or "dynamic playlist" replaygains?

Noting a previous reply of mine on the matter...
That's assuming that the tracks in your playlist have comparable volume without RG.
...except rephrasing it as a question like "Are you aware that your request will only work if [...] ?".

Reply #31
Beatles tracks tend to sound louder than other stuff in my collection after RG
Glad you spotted that feature greynol. I like the Beatles myself so I designed RG to play their tracks slightly louder than those by other artists.

I only had access to the original CDs at the time of course (1987 masters + Red+Blue albums), so this feature might not work quite so well with the 2009 remasters.

Happy New Year btw.

Cheers,
David.